[3] Holiday Blues

By the time the Christmas season rolled around, Angelica was fed up on waiting for her sister and friend to get together. Ever since they met, which was two years ago, everyone could tell there was something there. Except, Alex and Eliza that is.

They would always be seen talking to each other, holding hands (no one knew why), laying on top of each other, and so much more. There would be fifteen pages if they listed everything.

Angelica knew it was endgame, so did Peggy. That is until Alexander decided to be a little shit.

Maria Reynolds.

That was the name of Alex's new girlfriend. Angelica wanted to hate her, she did, but Maria was sweet. Though, no one could ever take Eliza's place.

Angelica would never forget the day Eliza met Maria. Being the older sister, she could tell emotions off of her baby sisters' faces easily.

The meeting was...tense. It mostly consisted of Eliza forcing a small smile. She constantly was glancing at Alex and her fake smile slightly cracking when he didn't notice her, or looked away. Oh, how she loathed Alex for that.

Angelica had asked if she was alright after meeting the new girlfriend. Though Eliza had just shook her off, showing off her fake smile yet again.

So, when Christmas time rolled around, Eliza was simply miserable. She missed Alex. She missed being able to call him hers, even though they weren't a thing, she felt like they had at least something.

Eliza knew Angelica. She knew her like she knew her own mind. She could tell what Angelica was thinking when she met Maria. Hell, Angelica could tell what Eliza was thinking.

Truth be told, Eliza didn't even know what she was feeling, let alone thinking. Something about seeing Alex with another girl, when she thought they had something was...heartbreaking.

The day he told her about his girlfriend was the day she thought he was going to ask her out. But that didn't happen.

Eliza sighed to herself quietly. She really did not want to deal with Alex and his girlfriend tonight. But what could she do?

Eliza giggled to herself as she watched John drunkenly try to win at Mario Cart. She loved her friends dearly, they were her family.

"Eliza!"

Eliza's eyes quickly met Alex's and her heart sped up at the sight of him. God, she hated that. She hated that just the sight of him could have her head over heels. They were friends. Nothing more.

"Alex," she breathed, a smile on her face, "hey."

Alexander grinned at her. That crooked grin, as if he knew a something she didn't, she couldn't get enough of that damn smile.

"So," Alex started as his arm made its way around her shoulders, "where is the lucky guy?"

Eliza bit her lower lip. "Um, I didn't bring anyone..."

Alex looked at her, his eyebrows furrowed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know-"

"It's fine." She said tensely, cutting him off. "No, really. It's fine."

Alex nodded, obviously feeling the tension in her shoulders. He was about to open mouth to say something when a familiar voice rang through his ears.

"Alex!"

Alexander turned his head, catching sight of his girlfriend walking towards them. A small smile formed on his lips as their eyes met.

Eliza felt her heart crack.