Chapter 6

You were talking to that boy you kissed and caught someone staring in the corner of your eye. You looked across the room and saw that it was Peter. Peter? What was Peter doing here? But more importantly, why does it look like he just went through hell and back again?

His hair a bit messy, a black eye starting to show coloration and couple fresh looking cuts that definitely weren't there when you saw him in the writing center.

After eye contact that seemed like it lasted a decade, Peter started making his way through the crowd, coming right towards you.

The guy you kissed was still yammering on about his 5-year plan, completely oblivious to the fact that you were too distracted to listen.

Your heart started racing so fast, you felt like you just finished a sprint. You weren't ready for this yet. You didn't expect to talk to Peter until after the party, if at all.

"Y/n," Peter said when he reached you there was a solemn twinkle in his eyes, "I know we were supposed to talk after the party, but I don't want to put it off any longer."

You looked to the guy you were talking to, looking for an answer of how to handle all of this. The guy put his hands up in surrender, "Whoa- okay- I didn't know, you had a boyfriend. I'm sorry! Looks like you two have some talking to do," and backed away.

"No! He's not my boyfriend! He's just a- a- stupid old friend of mine! He's no one!" You shouted after the guy. But he gave you this look of 'you seem like more trouble than fun' and you knew that you had lost him.

You turn to Peter and he had a look of hurt in his eyes that he tried to hold back, "Ouch..." he said. "I-I didn't realize that's what you thought about me- I- I'm sorry if I interrupted something- I- can leave and let you get back to... whatever you want to get back to."

"No! Peter, that's not what I meant! I didn't really mean what I said- I just- I just- I don't know! I just have been doing one dumb and shitty thing after another today! And I'm just such a mess, my life is a dumpster fire and I got way more drunk than I wanted too and I'm still pretty tipsy and I just don't know what I am doing- ever- but especially tonight- Peter- I'm sorry about everything!"

"Y/n, calm down, it's okay-"

"Why are you broken?!" you interject, "Did you get hit by a bus? What the fuck happened to you? Are we gonna talk about that?"

"What?- oh- OH- oh- uh, yeah, don't worry about it- it's fine. You know? Why don't we get you some food to help you sober up a bit."

"Good! I'm fucking starving, my roommate wouldn't let me eat dinner before this thing."

Peter knew exactly where to take you. The two of you went to the 24 hour diner you would meet at in high school. Peter gave you an arm to hold onto in and out of the cab, which you desperately clung to in your lack of balance. You couldn't help but notice how strong his arms were. On your way into the diner, you stumbled and he caught you. You couldn't tell if your reflexes were just dramatically slow from the alcohol or if his were weirdly fast.

Sitting in your usual booth, "Just like old times," you say. You order waffles and he gets pancakes.

The bright lights in the diner burn garishly bright and it hurts your eyes a bit. Exhausted, you put your head down on the cold linoleum table waiting for your food to come. In the corner of your eye you can see Peter wringing his hands. But he remains quiet. You can hear the clock on the wall ticking and the sound of Peter tapping his foot anxiously under the table.

When your food comes you pick up your head with a sigh of relief and dig in. The quiet was comfortable. Just two old friends eating in silence. But as you sobered up, you knew the two of you couldn't avoid talking anymore. Peter seemed too nervous to start.