First stasimon (chorus)

The crowd stood in front of the palace, watching in silence as Tiresias was led away. Then the chatter started. Did you hear the speech of Oedipus? Who was the man that the oracle of Delphi spoke of? He should run now, poor man. Apollo was hot on his trail, armed with fire and lightning. He would not last long. The goddesses of death would soon have him.

The oracle had spoken of tracking down an unknown murderer. Probably he was fleeing already, into the mountains, living in a cave, perhaps. Or the forest, living under a bush. Alone, cut from his people, and on foot. The word was out and alive, buzzing like a swarm of bees, murderer, murderer.

But what of the seer? What did he say? His harsh words were confusing. Could they believe them? Could they deny them? They were caught by the doubt. One thinking this, the other that. Had anyone heard of strife between Laios and Oedipus, the son of Labdakos and the son of Polybos? Was there anything to support the claim that Oedipus did not hold his protective hand over the line of Labdakos? Or that he would not track down and punish the murderer?
Only Zeus and Apollo knew everything. Should they ascribe such powers to mortal seers and pass judgment on their words alone? Who could then trust justice to be done? It would be wrong to pass judgment on the king before the full truth was known. Oedipus had been challenged by the sphinx, and at that time, he had shown himself a wise man. It was hard to believe he was capable of such evil. He was not such a man.

Some broke up and started to walk back to the city, but the chatter continued.