Chapter 1

"Lai, I need some heals!", shouted Ambriel, impatiently. She is a young woman with short red hair. Her legs were burnt from droid, that seemed to have been trashed for its destructive personality. It kept firing bullets of caustic acid at her. She limped around since the acid had gone through her skin and was beginning to wear at her muscle tissue.

"I know, I know!", Laika grumbled, as she pulled out a vial of luminescent pink liquid. She put a drop of it in her hands.

"Hurry!"

The faint light from the liquid glowed brighter, as Laika muttered a few words to herself. "Antithesis!", she shouted. The liquid beamed towards Ambriel, and enveloped her legs, and began healing the burn marks. "Go!" Laika threw a smoke bomb into the street right after, and backed away into the shadows.

Ambriel ran and climbed up a dumpster and pulled herself onto a roof. Alright, if it's a machine then I'll need something to fry him from the inside out, Ambriel thought to herself. She pulled out a sleek, black rifle, and aimed at the droid. "Sequence 38, begin charging," she whispered to the gun. It changed to an electric blue color, and a ball of electricity began to form within the barrel.

Laika peered out of the shadows and saw that smoke had dissipated. The droid noticed that too, and targeted Ambriel. Please hurry, I don't' want to have to rez' you again...

"Fire! Arc Lightning!" shouted Ambriel, and the compressed plasma darted towards the droid.

A bright flash of light emerged from the alley, blinding Laika and Ambriel for a few seconds. They looked back to where the droid was - it was now a hunk fizzing metal. Laika approached the droid and angrily stomped on its body, making sure that it was truly dead, and pushed a button on her visor. A popup microphone came out. "Rogue Bot 902A down," she stated.

"Good work, you two," the voice in her headset said. Laika glanced at Ambriel and gave her a thumbs-up.

"No biggie," Laika giggled. "Anything else you need for us to get, sir?"

The voice in her headset sighed. "Mmm... Not right now. You guys need to take a break too, for now."

She raised her brows. "A break, eh? Alright then, let us know when you need somethin'." She tapped on her visor again and the pop-up microphone disappeared. Ambriel slid down a gutter pipe back to the ground.

"Boss got anything else for us tonight?" asked Ambriel, cleaning off her uniform.

"He said 'You guys need to take a break'." replied Laika.

"A break?" beamed Ambriel. "Aah! Finally!" She hugged Laika tightly and spun her around.

"Ee-yup."

"Where do you want to go today then? The tavern? They have on-the-house beer and crispy chicken wings today, I think!"

"Mm..."

"Or do you want something more..." Ambriel dramatically posed. "Fancy? Like pasta or seafood?"

"We should save up, Amb," said Laika. Laika is quite a frugal person, but the sound of beer and fried chicken appealed to her taste buds. "But let's go to the tavern. I'm up for that."

"Woohoo!" Ambriel exclaimed. She slung her rifle over her shoulder, and tugged Laika's arm all the way to the tavern.

Light rain began to fall down, making the worn streets glossy. Laika pulled a compact umbrella from her supply bag and popped it open. A police hovercar on patrol zoomed past, splashing the rainwater onto them. Laika sighed, but Ambriel laughed.

"Lai, you don't need to feel down all the time," Ambriel said to her, smiling.

"It just really pisses me off that when I try to prevent one thing from happening, some other thing I couldn't see coming happens."