Chapter 5: Star

The city lights are pretty, I lean my head out the window to catch the air. After training for months underground it took me a bit of time to appreciate the air again. The city is loud too, restless and dangerous. The Idios love the city, I suppose their thinking is not completely unfounded. Chaos always accompanies large quantities of people.

My heart sinks into my stomach when red and blue lights flash in the mirrors "not now..." I measure my chances of getting away.

"Don't run." John orders coolly, I cock my brow at him. I can't be sure he knows what he's doing.

"Just, wait, there's three cars up ahead and two behind us." John pulls over "there's no way you can get away."

"How do you even know that?" I ask, he just glances in the mirrors as the police get out of their car. "I've had worse odds." I assure him.

"Don't run." John tells me again.

"Turn the vehicle off and put your hands out of the window." Two police men come up on either side of us with their guns pulled.

"Somethings wrong." I know it the second the lights went off.

"Just do what they say, maybe they're looking for someone." John watches them as they get closer.

"Yeah, someone like me." I put my hands out anyway, it's too late to run, they'd pull their tasers and when I don't stop they'll know what I am.

"Just do what I say." John whispers as the officers' approach us. I breathe a sigh and soften my features, I don't look like much, I look weak, pretty even. I peer up at the officer and feign fear.

"I.D." He orders.

"Let me just grab it from my purse." Slowly, I pull my hands in and rummage around the floor of the car. "Where's my purse!" I exclaim.

"Don't worry, Melissa." John says, "I think you forgot it on the table, but I've still got your I.D from the appointment." John keeps one hand out and reaches into his pocket, he shows the officer his wallet, the officer takes it and examines the I.Ds.

"Keep an eye on them while I run these." The officer next to me nods and shines the light in my eyes, I flinch as if he really scared me, he smiles.

"Can I ask why you've pulled us over?" John plays the indignant man well. Looking at him, he can pass for twenty-five, I, on the other hand, am baby faced.

"Random check, you know how we've got those freaks running around." The officer peers down at me, I see his hand loosen and the flash light slide out. It cracks against my head I cry out and grab my head "what the hell?" My voice screeches a little and the office snags the flash light up.

"So sorry ma'am." He says with a smile "it slipped."

"You should be more careful." John fusses over me, prodding and asking me if I'm sure I'm okay. I whimper and whine because the flashlight is heavy and it hit my head and it should have hurt. It's one of their tests, to make sure they're not missing anyone like me. I'm coveted after all, the rarest of the rare.

The other officer reappears and hands the IDs back to John. "Sorry to disturb you, everything's good, Rick." He walks back away. The officer next to me tips his hat to us "you two have a good night." He walks away but his hand grabs the underside of the truck, just above the wheel. I smile and wave until John pulls away.

"They chipped us." I whisper. John nods and takes a left.

We drive down a deserted road for a good thirty minutes before he pulls over "I figured they would, everyone can always tell I'm a soul reader. He shakes his head "I'm sorry, Star."