Sweet, Sweet, Revenge

• Dedicated to Chris

Ch. 16

--------------------------------------

Travis glances up nervously as the three helicopters slow their blades in a row.

"I need to get up there!" He thrusts, wincing as he slides up to his feet. The blood from where he was impaled by rocks begins flowing again, and he wraps his hand in his shirt to shelter the flesh.

"I just hope Jeremiah is alright..."

-----------------------------

"Where's Matt!?" Sean asks the clearing filled with people. Nate, Jake, Jonathan, Jay, Kayla, Kate, and the body of Jeremiah sit there.

"I don't know. He said he was going to be right back." Kayla says, punching Kate in the stomach to get her breathing steadily again.

"I'm going after him." Sean says, mounting Dauntless.

"No!" Kayla protectively puts her arms around the saddle.

"Matt could be dead?"

"And do I give a crap?"

"Well, yeah, he's your friend and my brother."

"So?"

"Lost the attitude. Let's go."

Sean and Jonathan grab their guns and medical kits and race down the street in the direction of the city hall on foot. When they reach the large ice building, they're instantly reminded of Jeremiah.

"Good thing he's dead." Jonathan shudders, taking a glance over at the empty barracks.

"His troops aren't. They're probably raging war on HeavenValley right now!"

"And he nuked cowmansion4..."

"That's for Matt to worry about once we find him."

"But that means our lab is gone!"

"Screw that. We did all the research we needed to. I think we have a way to kill him, and working teleportation devices."

"Good point."

The two brothers run in silence, patting their soft boots on the rounded cobble street. They slowly creep up the icy steps, and throw open the doors.

"Matt?!" Sean yells. He starts walking, every footstep echoing off the walls. Jonathan pulls his gun at the ready beside him, and darts his eyes around the deserted, dark, hallway. Suddenly, Sean hears a voice.

"Drop your weapons." The voice says. Sean tries to pinpoint its location, but the noise bounces around too much.

"Who are you?"

"You know me well enough."

Sean tempts his mind to remember the voice, and suddenly recognizes it to be Chris's.

"What are you doing here?" Sean asks, reaching back for his handgun.

"That's none of your business."

"It's Chris!" Jonathan suddenly whispers.

"I know." Sean replies. "So step out where we can see you, Chris."

"I'd be obliged."

The door of a nearby office peers open, and Chris slowly steps out, grasping a sword with one hand. A second figure, Lewis, follows behind him. Lewie is holding Matt, his claws slowly drawing fresh blood from Matt's neck.

"What do you want?!" Jonathan asks.

"Jay." Lewis replies.

----------------------------------