Chapter 12

With his mom inside and far enough away to where she can't see us, Adonis leans in and kisses my cheek. I giggle and he lays his head on my shoulder. "Thank you." He says and I shrug. "That's what friends are for after all."  I respond and he rolls his eyes. "I'm sure it is." He says before turning around. "Hey what's wrong?" I ask and he shakes his head. "Go eat." He says and I look up to see my mom standing there.

"Right. Night Ace." I say and he shrugs. "Night." He mumbles back and I could tell something was wrong, but instead of pushing I get up and jump the fence back to my yard. My mom gives me a worried look and I just shrug before watching Adonis slink back into his home. Once he was inside my mom and I head inside and take our respective places at the table. We say grace and begin to eat silently. My mom starts to ask questions about our day, and I just listen to everyone else talk.

Once I was done, I excuse myself to my room and lay down. The only thing running through my mind is Adonis. Why did he get so upset when I was leaving? Was he just being shy? Was it something I said? Questions swarm my mind, and I zone out so much that I don't even hear my mom knocking on my door. She comes in and shakes me from my thoughts. "Honey are you okay?" She asks and I shrug.

"I'm more worried about Adonis." I answer truthfully and she sighs. "You're still getting to know him sweetie. You'll soon come to understand everything about him. You've gotta give it time. Make mistakes. All the best parts of forming a relationship." She says and I blush. "Wh-what do you mean, relationship?" I ask and she chuckles. "A friendship is a relationship too. It doesn't have to be in the romantic sense, but don't play with his feelings." She says getting up and I sigh.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Forget I said anything." She says in defeat and I throw myself back down on my bed. She leaves and I pick up my phone. I call Adonis and he answers after like five rings. "Hello?" He asks into the phone and I sigh. "Are you okay?" I ask and he yawns. "I'm fine. Everything is fine." He mumbles and I shake my head.

"Did I do something wrong? You turned away from me so suddenly." I ask and he groans. "No. You're fine. I'm fine. Everything's just fine. Okay? Don't you have something to do in the morning? Go to sleep." He says and I sigh. "Why don't I believe that?" I ask and he sighs. "Not my problem. Night Axel." He says before hanging up in my face. I place my phone down, feeling worse than before the call, and curling up in a ball.

I allow myself to cry in said ball, even when my door opens. "Hey, are you okay?" I look up to see King, worried expression plastered on his face. "You're crying! What happened?" He asks and I sigh. "I-I don't know. He's upset and it's probably my fault and he hung up in my face and he says everything is fine but everything is not fine because I feel this way and I don't know why I feel this way." I say and King just rubs my back. "Imma just get mom." He says before running out.

Mom comes in a few moments later and I explain again what happened on the phone call. "Honey it's probably not you. Remember last time it was you he didn't answer calls or texts and he locked himself in his room. This is something else, and yes him snapping on you was wrong, but you've gotta remember that he's not used to working around other people's emotions. It's always been just him." She explains and I nod. I lay my head on her lap and she plays in my hair. "Feel better?" She asks and I nod again. "Thank you." I say softly and she kisses my head. "Get some sleep. We've gotta be up early tomorrow." She says and I nod before turning over and slowly falling asleep.

I wake up the next day to my mom shaking me awake. "I need you to get up and get dressed." She says and I get out my bed and make my way into my bathroom to start the day. I turn on the shower and allow it to get hot while I brush my teeth and wash my face. I then strip away my clothes and get in the shower. I wash my body before getting out and moisturizing. I go back to my room and get dressed in some jeans and a plain shirt before grabbing my phone and heading downstairs.

Everyone was sitting around in the living room, so they all look up when I come down. "Morning." I mumble and my mom sighs. "Are you ready to go? We've got a busy day of shopping ahead of us." She says and I nod. In all honesty I'm just glad it's the weekend at this point. There's no way I can focus with all this crap on my mind. My mom rushes us out the door with promise of food later, and as we're leaving out the gate Mrs. Waters and Adonis are leaving their gate as well. I stop dead in my tracks when Adonis spots me, and I quickly turn away from his gaze.

"Are you guys ready?" My Mom asks and Mrs. Waters smiles. "Yes! I'm so excited to see the village." She says and her and my mom begin to talk. King glares at Adonis and Ace just looks confused. "Can I help you with something?" He asks and King rolls his eyes. "Yeah. Why are you such as ass to someone who tries so hard to help you? Ax hasn't done anything but be nice to you and you catch attitudes and make him cry. Why?" He asks and Adonis looks at me before looking at King, and ultimately back to me. He stares at me for a moment before I turn away from him.

"Nope I'm not doing this. Rather be shot. Have fun I'll be here if you need me." He tells his Mom and she shakes her head. "You're going and that's final." She says and he puts his headphones on before pulling his hood over his head and putting his hands in his sweater pockets. He keeps his head down and we all ride in silence, apart from the adults talking. I glance over at Adonis a few times, but he never looks up. I shoot him a text, and he sees it, but doesn't reply.