Chapter 18

I wake up to my phone ringing and I groan. I turn over and see Adonis' name scrawled across the screen so I answer it. "Hello?" I question, my voice still heavy with sleep. "Hey... I just wanted to let you know I won't be in school today." He says voice raspy. "How did you get sick that quick?" I ask and I can just see him shrugging.

"I don't know but my mom thinks it's best if I stay home." He says and I nod. "I think the same thing. I'll get your work for you and I'll stop by after practice." I say and he sniffles. "Thanks. I'll text you when I wake back up." He says and I smile. "Alright. Feel better." I say and he hangs up.

I look at the digital clock on my phone and see it's about time for me to get up. I sigh and cut my alarm off before going to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I get dressed and pack my clothes for practice before heading downstairs. My mom sees me and smiles despite the dead look on my face this morning.

"Why the glum look?" She asks sitting a plate in front of me. "I'm tired and Adonis somehow got worse over night?" I say and she frowns. "Maybe I'll go bring him some soup later." She says and I smile. "I can take it. I have to bring him his work after practice." I say and she smiles. "We can do that." She says kissing my forehead and pointing to my food.

I start to eat just as Seth and King come downstairs and sit with me. "Are we getting a ride this morning?" Seth asks and I shake my head. "Adonis is sick so he won't be going anywhere today." I explain and he looks at me. "What did y'all do to make him sick?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "Nothing. We just had a conversation and then his mom came to check on him and she noticed he was pale and warmer than usual." I explain and he nods.

"Okay." He says as mom hands them both a plate of food. We all quickly eat before grabbing our book bags and heading out the door. We walk to school in silence and once there we all go our separate ways. I go to my locker and Mindy pops up out of nowhere. "Can I ask you a serious question?" She asks and I nod.

"Sure." I say and she looks down. "Are you and Adonis... dating?" She asks and I look at her. "If we were?" I ask and she looks up. "Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, it's just that I've always liked you and I wanted to at least make an effort to tell you how I feel." She explains and I nod in understanding.

"We aren't dating, but I do see us being together soon." I say and she nods. "Oh. Okay, well I hope he makes you happy." She says and I smile. "He does." I say and she smiles back. "Okay well have a good day. I'll see you later." She says and I wave her off. Chad walks up behind me and bumps my shoulder.

"Doesn't look like you have you gay guardian with you today. Guess it's time for some payback. Watch your back." He says before walking off causing me to roll my eyes. "Whatever dumbass." I say and he turns around. "Fuck did you say to me you fag?" He spits and I roll my eyes again. "You heard me dumbass. I'm not scared of you." I say and he snatches me by my shirt.

On instinct I push him away and he stumbles back. "Oh now you've pissed me off." He says before taking a swing and connecting with my jaw. I quickly throw one back hitting him in the stomach before taking him to the ground. People quickly start to gather around and before we know it teachers were pulling us apart.

Both Seth and King rush to my side with wide eyes. "Are you okay? Axel what the fuck happened?" King asks and I hand him my phone. "He fucking hit me. Call mom and explain then call Ace." I say and he nods before watching me get dragged to the office to plead my case.

The principal was shocked to see me in his office for a fight of all things. "Axel you never get in trouble. What happened?" He asks and I can just feel my anger boil. "He's a bully. He picks on me and my little brother and expects nothing to happen then when I called him out on his stupidity he hit me." I explain and he nods before looking at Chad.