Chapter 3: Loving the Sun

I slowly opened my eyes and blinked several times because of the sunlight entering my room through the glass window.

I saw the nurse, Ms. Turner, moving the curtains away so more light can come through.

She saw me looking at her and she gave me a smile.

She is a black american woman, a little chubby, but she's really cute and caring.

She's been my nurse since day one in here.

"Good Morning Jane! Good day today right? You'll be discharged later. Congratulations!" she said.

"Good Morning too! Yeah I guess it's a good day today." i said with a smile.

I looked at the clock and it read 7:30 a.m.

The sunlight is so warm, the weather outside is great! Good thing i can go today!

Dad's gonna be here soon!

"Excuse me Ms. Turner, may i ask what time will I be discharged?" i asked her.

"You're good to go at around 9 or 10, your dad will take care of the hospital papers first before you can go." she replied, still with a smile on her face.

"Okay thanks. I'd miss seeing you Ms. Turner." i said.

She sat beside me and held both of my hands and looked at me.

"I'd miss you too Jane. Promise me that you won't waste your time okay? Live it." she said.

"I promise!" i replied.

Just when we finished talking Matt knocked on the door.

Mrs. Turner opened it and let him in.

"I better give you some privacy children." Mrs. T said.

"Thanks Mrs. Turner." i said with a smile.

Then she walked out of my room.

Matt kissed me on the lips and said "I'm so happy you're going out today! I promise that you'll live every second of your life!".

I kissed him and said "Thank you baby, I love you!"

We were kissing when my stomach grumbled.

"I bet someone's hungry." he said."Good thing i bought you some food."

"Thanks Matt! What did you buy for my breakfast?" i asked.

"I bought you fried chicken and spaghetti." he said grinning.

"Awww. You're really making me feel like a kid!" i told him.

"Whatever. You're my baby remember?" he said.

"Aww sweet. Now please give that to me cause I'm starving!" i said then I laughed.

"I'm going to feed you okay? Let me just get utensils." he said.

"Okay." i replied.

Matt's been really sweet since we first met. Even since we were friends, he protected me. And when I finally said "Yes", he swore to me that he'll never leave me.

And he did stick to that. I am so happy the he is not like other guys who doesn't stick to their promises.

He sat beside me and fed me. He also bought Coke!

Gosh! Of all softdrinks in America or even in the whole world Coke is the one I love the most!

He finished feeding me then he gave me the ice-cold Coke in can.

He said he's heading to the canteen to grab some breakfast.

I said okay then I opened the can.

"Gosh this day really is good! I could get used to this day!" i said.

I was drinking when dad came in.

"Morning Dad!" i said.

"Morning Sweetheart! I bought you breakfast." he said.

"Matt's already here dad, he already gave me breakfast and he said he was just gonna grab some for himself too." i said.

"Okay. I'm just gonna leave and go take care of the hospital papers." Dad said.

"Oh, do you want to come with mo to Jeremy's school later? We'll fetch him together." he added.

"Sure Dad! I'm sure he'll be really surprised to see me there!" I said.

"Okay honey. I'm gonna go now." he said.

I nodded and said "Okay dad!"

Then he walked out of the room.

Gosh I'm so excited to go out. I wanna feel the sun again. I want to feel the summer breeze on my skin. I wanna be one with the outside world again.

I want to take a nap before going out, but I just can't!

The sunshine through my window is just so inviting that I just want to go out already.

Matt went into my room and said he saw Dad.

"Your dad told me we should wait for about 20-30 mins. more." he said.

"Okay. Let's wait." i replied.

30 minutes seemed like a day but finally Dad entered the room again and said we're good to go.

Mrs. T was with Dad and she was the one who removed my dextrose.

Finally! The dextrose is removed and I can move my arm freely!

I wanted to go out as soon as it was removed but i forgot i was inbed for a few months.

My knees went weak the moment i tried to stand.

Good thing Dad caught me in time.

He and Matt hepled me to walk again.

Gosh I missed walking freely, with no dextrose following me.

I am walking through the corridor and saw some nurses who were there when I needed help.

I waved at them and said "Babye, I'm going out now, Thanks for everything." then I smiled.

"You're welcome, We'll miss you." they said and waved back at me with smiles on their faces.

As i stepped out of the corridor and walked towards the hospital door I looked back, sighed and smiled again.

I stepped out of the door and into the sun and felt it's warmth.

"Ugghh I missed this!" I thought.

Matt assisted me to the car cause Dad went to the car first so he can start it up already.

I went in to the car and sat in the backseat, Matt sat beside me and we held hands as we travelled back to our house.