Chapter 2: Answers

Kuro woke up on a lovely spring day, the birds humming a sweet song of tranquility, echoing throughout the home of the man that saved him just 2 weeks prior. He was still sore in his back, Who wouldn't be after taking a spear slicing it open, then a sword with a bladed edge piercing through him? He was lucky to be alive. Let's not forget Yari, who showed up just in time and dug cold steel into the leg of one of those oni. Yari was never the fighting type, but watching Kuro helpless like that, he knew if he didn't do something, he might have just lost his best and only friend.

Kuro, finally having the strength to get himself out of bed, went to find Yari. Walking outside the paper doors of the Brave swordsman's home, he found Yari in the garden, meditating in front of what can only be described as a tranquil Japanese waterfall- albeit on a much smaller scale. Kuro couldn't help but notice how well looked after the man's house was, simply thinking to himself "This old man must have a butler or something, everything's so nice here."

Not a moment later, he looked toward Yari, who was turned away from him-still meditating, and called him by name.

"Yari"

*Yari's eyes open, almost excitedly, as he turns to face his friend*

"Kuro! You're awake!"

"I've been in and out of it for a while...how long has it been?"

"2 weeks"

"Huh...2...weeks?"

"Yeah...It's been 2 weeks since Setsuna was attacked, Luckily for us Kushida-sensei saved the both of us and brought us here to his home. He's been treating your wounds and looking after us very well"

"So that's his name..."

"Indeed, that's my name young Kuro." - Said Kushida as he stepped onto the grass of the garden entrance behind them.

"You gave us quite the shock, we thought you weren't going to make it."

*Kuro remains silent*

"...Listen, i'm not here to hurt you. In fact, I was close friends with your father."

"My father!..." Kuro said in a confused, yet delighted way.

"Yes, Kaiba and I go way back. We fought in the great Rune war together. He was so precise with a blade, it was very difficult for anyone to even get close to him...I miss that old buffoon."

Kuro, slightly confused, turns toward Kushida-sensei and limps over to him. He was using a crutch that was left next to his bed, presumably by Kushida-sensei. Yari watching attentively in the background, as he knew that this conversation didn't involve him. Kuro, sweating from his forehead, the pain in his back becoming increasingly more difficult to deal with as time went on; spoke and said:

"...How...I mean what..."

*In that moment Yari noticed Kuro was struggling to collect himself due to his wound*

"Go on, take a deep breathe and try again." Said Kushida

"...My father...You said he fought in the Great Rune War...What's that sir?"

*Kushida chuckles slightly*

*Kuro seems slightly annoyed by it*

"I don't blame you for not knowing, the world has tried to bury it with the past and for good reason too. It wasn't pretty, thousands of soldiers died, countless civilians were slaughtered..."

Kushida paused for a moment and recalled what his friend, Kuro's father, Kaiba, once told him:

"One day if I happen to pass away, along with my wife, I want you to look after my son. He means so much to me...Kushida-san...He has a Rune on his chest..."