The Legend

Dragons.

They are exactly what you are imagining.

Firebreathing flying lizards.

Well. Some fly.

Most can breath fire.

And yes. They demand maiden flesh.

Legends tell of a time where dragons were the kings of kingdoms and lived above men. Soaring through the air and in castles high above the huts of their subjects.

But there is one myth that has all but been forgotten. The part where the dragons were men who could transform into the scaled beasts. The part where the kings and queens of olde wrecked havoc in their blood games that left the earth scorched. The story that pitted winged brother at brother as blood purity faltered and fire finally fell.

For men are more likely to be born out of a dragon union than women.

The green eyes of the kings are the only mark that identified one as beast and not man. And over time the stories churned into something else. First they were beasts who could become men, and maybe this is fairer still, until finally myth turned the dragons from magical men into bloodthirsty monsters.

Partially true. Partially a lie. The fiery blood seeped into the blood of man and reemerged at its choosing. And all children cursed with green eyes were left to die with the fairies. Some of these babes had eyes as dull as the rest of man and others shone with green fire.

These children were not broken by the forest but thrived in it. That woe begotten power that gave their ancestors rule pumped and flowed in their veins.

For they were dragons.

For they are dragons.

And did I mention they craved maiden flesh?