Chapter 10

From now on sometimes I might do back to back chapters.

A L G E E 

A few days had passed since I last talked with Dayna.  I was still irritated at the fact that she would go and expose me like that. Also at the fact that she couldn't seem to understand why I was "overreacting".

She would make eye contact with me whenever we were around each other. I just ignored her. I noticed that since the argument she seemed more quiet and back to her normal reserved state. 

I went back to hangin with my boys Bryshere and Elijah more than I had been. I felt like I had been kicking them to the curb since I started tutoring. It actually felt nice spending my lunches somewhere else. 

"Bro you been missing out since you stopped hanging around us. We been goin to hella parties been with hella chicks." Bry explained. 

"Yeah we wanted to invite you but yo been too busy with that Dasia chick." Eli chimed in.

"You mean Dayna. And yall ain't gotta worry about me and her anymore. We done." I took a sip of water. 

"Yall was dating?!?" Elijah and Bryshere both asked in unison. 

"Nah," I let out a chuckle.  "Just friends. "

"Well what happened?" Elijah asked while reaching for one of my fries. I slapped his hand before he could even touch one.

"It's a long story fam." 

"We like long stories tho." 

"Look, I don't wanna talk about it. Besides, if I did, I wouldn't have time to tell yall. I gotta go get a book from the library for my psychology class. I'll catch you guys later." 

They both said their goodbyes and I left before they could try to pester the story out of me. 

The library was not that far from the cafeteria so I got there in no time. I walked towards the non fiction section looking for the book I needed. The teacher wanted us to buy it but I knew there was no way I could do that. Money can be stressful. 

I scanned through the countless books until I found the one I needed. There were about five copies of it so I knew it wasn't popular among the students.

I walked up to the front desk to get it checked out when I heard a frustrated grunt.

"Calm down honey. What's going on?" The librarian's back was turned away from me.

"I can't figure these problems out." A familiar voice answered her.

"Well what are you working on?" 

"Dividing algebraic expressions."

Low and behold, I looked over to see Dayna.  She looked as if she wanted to cry.

"Oh sweetie I wish I was good at math. I would give up my whole lunch to help you if I could."

"Thanks. I just suck at math in general."

"Have you thought about getting a tutor?"

"Uhm I had one but it didn't work out so well. I was dumb. It was my fault." Dayna lifted her head to finally see me standing there. Her face dropped at the sight of me. "I give up. I'm just gonna go."