5

Thea was pretty sure the world was out to get her. Obviously, she knew that the world wasn't actually out to get her but it felt like it was. It seemed that no matter what Thea did, nothing would go her way. Maybe, she was just that unlucky, or maybe there was some fucking conspiracy against her. (she prefers the latter, it sounded cooler.) But, regardless of the world handing heartbreak and loss to her, Thea kept the star-like smile on her face as she walked through the parking lot of Hawkins High School with a rambling Eloise Maeson by her side.

The parking lot of Hawkins High seemed to be filled to the brim with students and their respective cliques. As Thea looked around the lot, she could see the nerds - they're not really nerds because Thea thought that words was so overrated, but Eloise insisted that was the name to call them -, the jocks - which consisted of each and every asshole who was a carbon copy of Aaron "Meathead" Montgomery -, but, there was one person who clumsily stumbled out of a beaten up car with a bag slung over his shoulder and a camera in his hand that didn't seem to gravitate to any particular clique.

"Jonathan!" Thea had called out, interrupting Eloise who was in the midst of talking about some summer love she had while she had vacationed in Paris with her family at the beginning at the summer. Thea grasped Eloise's wrist and tugged her along, a string of profanities leaving Eloise's lips.

Jonathan had looked towards the voice who called his name and the gloomy expression he held seemed to lighten up just a bit. As Thea continued to pull Eloise along, all the while Eloise protesting the entire way, she took the time to analyze Jonathan's appearance. The purple hues of the bags under his eyes had contrasted greatly with his pale skin, but sent a pang of worry through Thea's heart. His hair laid untidy and his clothes disheveled as if he had just rolled out of bed.

When Thea and Eloise reached Jonathan, she no longer had the false smile that she wore around town but one of authenticity. Jonathan felt himself return the smile almost as if it was instinct.

"Ready for today, Byers?" Thea asked teasingly.

Jonathan chuckled and shook his head. "When am I ready for anything? Ever?"

Thea went to reply, but a faint clearing of a throat stopped her. Eloise stood next to Thea expectantly, tapping her foot like an impatient mother. Thea sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Jonathan, this is Eloise Maeson. I'm sure you've heard of her, she's kind of a bitch."

Eloise smirked in triumph, no words of defense slipping out of her ruby red lips because Thea's introduction was spot on. (She was kind of a bitch and every student in Hawkins High new it.)

"Eloise Maeson, the pleasure is all yours i'm sure." Eloise spoke with a voice like velvet, holding out her hand. Jonathan looked down at her awaiting hand and glanced at Thea in confusion. Awkwardly, he shook her hand and averted his eyes from her intimidating stare and merciless yet captivating smile. Jonathan had never crossed paths with the warship that was Eloise Maeson and he always prayed to whatever god in the sky that he wouldn't. He had heard all about her silky words that could make empires fall and oceans part. He heard that she could turn a man into stone just by looking into his eyes. Okay, he hadn't actually heard that about Eloise, but you get the gist. Eloise was a woman of many wonders and had a tongue as sharp as a razor blade. So, yeah, little old Jonathan Byers was utterly and completely terrified of the storm that was Eloise Maeson.