Chapter 22, Part B: Those Minor Details

For some time after the Count’s henchman left, Elanore sat in the parlor with a book upon her lap. Her dark eyes had long abandoned the books’ pages to look outside for signs of passersby upon the road.

Eventually she abandoned all pretense of reading and came to stand at the window. While she looked at what the outside world had to offer, she traced her finger along the surface of the cold glass.

“My dear.” The thin reedy voice of her grandmother interrupted Elanore’s odd behavior.  Mrs. Winchester frowned as she looked at the pattern of circles on the parlor window.  “You should come away from there. It’s cold and drafty isn’t it?”

Elanore obediently returned to her seat but did not answer the question. To confess any hint of weakness could mean being ordered to spend another day inside the house.  She smoothed down her skirts, making every effort to calm herself before she spoke. “I was watching for Mr. Gregory.”

The old woman peered through her glasses at her young charge. “You know he won’t be by until at least two or so.”  The elderly lady hesitated, wondering if she should mention that it was unlikely Edmund would be by either.  But something about Elanore’s expression made her decide against it.  “Don’t tell me you are reconsidering the Count’s offer?”

The young woman’s fingers floated to the cord at her neck  from which dangled a pouch of stones.  A rare frown flitted across her face as she discovered the bag was warm.   “I don’t know if I should.  Perhaps I don’t feel as certain that this is the right thing to do.”

Each delay, each additional piece of information that came her way added to her sense of unease.  The inconstancy of the Count’s behavior had eroded her trust in his words.  But for every misgiving she had about the Count and his people, she did not doubt the lions.  They were incapable of deceit. Of that she was certain.

Her grandmother rocked her chair back and forth. “I’ve also thought a great deal about whether it is wise to relocate to a stranger’s home. In light of these  uncertain times, it is better to be doing something than nothing. I’ve resolved to use this opportunity for us to learn what we can. We must press for more information about this boundary that you spoke of.”

Elanore pressed her palms together and bowed her head.  The Count and his family possessed far more information than any other person in the area.  She had already decided that she would learn what she could that might help against unknown dangers that might come this way. But the map he had shown her hinted that he held some other knowledge, something that might be used to protect the town.  And yet here she was still idling at home, unable to access that knowledge.

“So this Mr. Giles seems intent to warn you against this family. Do you really fear this family and what they might say?“

“No,” Elanore answered emphatically.  “Except for the delay they cause.  I am well enough to begin work again.  And I fear that our luck is soon to run out.  We have not had any sightings of unusual creatures. It’s only a matter of time.”

“We are much fewer than we were a week ago,” Mrs. Winchester sighed. “The families with young children  go south for the winter, which perhaps is best.  Without a schoolteacher and a friar, there’s not much to offer.”

It was a blessing in disguise.  And yet there were still a few dozen people in town who would not move. Aside from those within the guild, those families who stayed behind were too old or frail to make any substantial journey.

“Do not fret, Elanore,” the Mayor smiled.  “If this Count has lost interest, we still have ourselves.  We can continue to work with Gregory.  I am certain he has made progress in his research.”