Jordan: I

The sound of rain hitting the roof of the house put a smile on her face as she sat by her bedroom window looking out. It was late in the evening, and it has been pouring rain for the last few hours. But she didn't mind, no. She had a thing about the rain, it was explainable.

"Jordan!" A voice was heard coming from the hallway from her bedroom door. Her sister, Casey, entered the room. "What are you doing?" She asked her sister as she walked towards her and sat down with her.

Jordan looked back at the window. "I'm watching the rain." She plainly said as her eyes were fixated on the raindroplets running down her window.

Casey watched her sister as she couldn't figure out why she was so closed off and not surrounded by her family downstairs in front of the fireplace. "It's cold, Jordan. Come downstairs with me and we can sit in front of the fireplace. Mom and dad said we could roast marshmellows."

Jordan looks over at her sister and shakes her head. "No thank you." Her eyes went back to the window. "I'm fine here."

Casey gave up as she stood up and walked out of the room. Jordan sat there, watching the rain as her smile never once faded away from the complete solitude that her own little head brought her.

It seems as though the rain washes all her sad emotions away and it helps her in ways she can't understand. She never understood why she was different, because she knew, but she never once complained because being left alone was one of the things she was most happy about.

_

The neighborhood kids were always outside playing. The sound of their laughter could be heard a mile down the road, maybe even farther, as their tiny voices were heard through the walls of the houses down the street. It was days like this that Jordan would sit on the front step of her parents home and watch all the other kids play. She never once went out to play with them or speak to them, although her parents always would ask her to, but she was much happier sitting on the porch watching them.

Her parents always knew something was different about Jordan, but not in a bad way. They knew she wasn't like the other kids, because she never brought a friend home from school, or went to play with any of the other kids, and when asked why, Jordan would simply reply, "I like being alone." That was enough to make her parents respect her, and not bother her any more about it.

"What's your name?" A voice was heard as Jordan turned her head in the direction of a small girl approaching her. Jordan didn't know what to do as she stared at the girl with a confused expression. The girl giggled, "Do you have a name?"

Jordan nodded. "Jordan."

The small girl smiled brightly. "Nice to meet you Jordan," She held her hand out and Jordan shook it. "I'm Alicia." She sat down beside her. "Why aren't you playing like the other kids?" Jordan shrugged. Alicia stared at her. "Are they mean to you?" She asked.

Jordan shook her head. "No. I just don't want to play." It was hard to tell someone how she really felt about the world around her, even as a ten year old, nobody would understand what her mind was like when it came to other people, places or things that surrounded her.

"I see you out here somedays and you're always watching, but never playing." Alicia spoke as she studied Jordan. "You don't like playing?" Again, Jordan shrugged and Alicia knew better than to go any further.

They sat there as the kids were playing, and everyone was laughing. Alicia couldn't figure out why, but she didn't want to leave Jordan's side. She knew she was a little different than the rest of the kids, but she wanted to find out. She wanted to get to know Jordan, and maybe become friends in the near future.