One Week

It had been a week since Morgause and her words haunted Arthur, one week since Merlin had been taken. You have a secret as well, don't you. One that your precious prince can never find out. Morgause's works What had the sorceress meant by that? She also said that Morgana had a secret. Morgana was close enough to be his sister, she couldn't keep anything from him... could she?

"Arthur," said Gwen. "We are almost to the Spring Palace. The home of the ancient House of Balance."

"What does it matter Gwen? We should focus on getting Merlin back. He is all that matters to me right now."

"Arthur," said Morgana laying a hand lightly on Arthur's arm. "We need to talk."

"Not right now Morgana." He shrugged off her arm and walked away leaving her standing by the fire.

"Sire," said Gaius walking up to them with a book open. "I think I know how to get into the Summer Palace."

"We walk in," said Arthur. 

"Not exactly, according to my book the House of Balance were known for truth, so their test to enter the chamber is to tell one of your deepest and darkest secrets. One that you fear could do the most harm to you." Morgana gulped slightly. 

"What do I have to fear?" asked Arthur.

"It will make you answer to yourself." Gaius frowned slightly.

"Gather the others, we move in," said Arthur not paying attention to Gaius.

About an hour later they reached the ruins of what was once a palace and Gwen's medallion started to glow red. "We are close. It's in there." Arthur drew his sword and the group slowly approached the gates. Just then a man in white appeared carrying a staff. "You." Arthur narrowed his eyes.

"I am Anhora, keeper of the unicorns. The oldest remaining member of the House of Balance."

"You know why we are here?" said Gwen.

"Yes, Daughter of Earth. I know why you are here."

"Will you help us?" Anhora looked at the group for a long moment before turning and walking back into the ruins. As the group crossed the threshold the air shimmered and the castle transformed itself from the ruins to a castle. It had a warm fireplace roaring in the main room and there was a staircase that led up to the floors above with a red carpet on it. 

"Through here," said Anhora and walked into the next room. The group looked at each other before following him. They walked into the thrown room and a black unicorn rose to his feet and shook his mane out. "This is the Hall of Dusk and Dawn, the center of power for the House of Balance."

"How do you find out who is to sit on the throne, Anhora?" asked Gwen. Anhora said nothing but extended a hand to Gaius. 

"According to legend," started Gaius. "The one who is in balance will have to test the trials of light and dark. Dawn and Dusk. The actual representation of balance."

"So what?" asked Gwaine. "Do we just happen to chose?"

"Gwaine, no," said Lancelot. "It is the ultimate test of balance. To be able to balance the light and darkness inside of you."

"We will begin," said Anhora as a gorgeous white mare walked into the room. "Everyone shut their eyes and the unicorns will begin the test."

Morgana-

"Where am I?" I asked as I looked around the room that I was in. It was dark and seemed to go on forever. 

"I have seen your heart and it is mine, Morgana. I know your past and I know your future. For I am Dusk. Judgment and executioner. Answer this simple question. Why Morgana do you want Uther dead so much?"