twenty five

3:37 AM

i woke up to the sound of a door creaking. through the darkness, i was able to see the outline of a male figure.

"ben?"

"no."

once i recognized the voice, i sighed in relief.

"you're still here."

jack sat down at the end of the bed. "yeah. i am. i can't sleep, rose. i can't eat. i.. i fuckin' love you." i could tell by his voice that he was close to tears.

"i love you too." i said, pushing the covers off of me and making my way across the bed to hug him. his arms wrapped tightly around me.

"then why'd you do it to me? why him? why anyone?" he cried. i felt his tears drip onto my shoulder and i held him tighter.

"it just happened."

he sucked in a breath. "it's true?"

"i'm sorry, jack, it is." i let go of him, fearing the worst. "i would understand if you don't want to speak to me again but just know i love you with everything and i always will."

he shook his head. "i'm not leaving you."

i was silent, afraid to say anything that would make him change his mind.

"we've been through too much together to just stop now. i know you made a mistake, we've all made mistakes, and yes it will take me awhile to trust you which is why.." he paused for a moment.

"i'm going to move to alabama."

"what?!" i whisper yelled.

"yeah. for the next four years, i'll live in alabama. maybe you can move out of carly's and live with me."

"you'll do this for me?"

he nodded. "i love you."

i wrapped my arms around him tightly. no more having to worry about the distance between us, or how we'll see each other.

jack is here to stay.

-

2 weeks later

"carly, are you feeling okay?" i whispered while we had our water break.

"yeah, fine. why?"

"i heard you last night and you don't seem too hot right now." i joked. "was it that burger you ate last night?"

"no, i'm good. really."

"alright ladies, again from the top!"

for the last few nights, carly has been waking up at odd hours and throwing up. the first night i thought it was because of the drinks she had at the party we went to, but then i realized that the second night.. she had nothing. nothing that could be causing this except the flu or..

"oh my god, carly."

she turned to me. "yeah?"

"after practice meet me at my car."

she gave me a look but nodded.

we went through our routine a few more times before practice ended. we would be performing at halftime next week, the first game of the year.

i waited at my car and carly climbed in. "what's up?"

"are you pregnant?"

"no!" she laughed. "i had a big dinner. jeez."

"carly, that's not what i'm talking about." i said, starting my car. "i'm buying you a test."

"ro, that really isn't necessary." she sighed. "the last guy i hooked up with was careful. there's no way."

"mhm, sure. that's what they say in movies or on teen mom."

we went to the nearest drug store and bought three tests before heading back to our apartment.

most of my things were packed, since i used the check jack gave me to buy us a house. $350,000 gets you a lot more in alabama than in california.

"i don't think i could be, but to make you feel better i'll take these." she laughed. she went into the bathroom and the doorbell rang, signaling that jack was here.

"hold on, carls!" i called to her as i ran to the door. i opened it, seeing jack smiling at me with a bouquet of roses.

"hi baby!" he walked in, his arms wrapping around me and the scent of roses entering the apartment.

"hi love!" i said. "carly's taking some.. tests." i whispered, leading him to where my room used to be. the only thing left was my mattress on the floor.

"what kind?"

i raised my eyebrows and leaned in to kiss him. before i could do that, the bathroom door swung open, carly's eyes wide.

"it's positive."

"oh my god." i breathed. "carly, are you.. whose is it?"

"i.." her eyes teared up, the test in her hand with the two lines very prominent, shaking.

"sam. it's sam's."

my heart sank and the excitement for her turned into anger quickly.

"what?" i said harshly, carly stepping back.

"don't rose." jack said slowly, putting his arm in front of me.

"when did you fuck him?" i yelled, carly on the verge of tears.

"the night jack got here. i saw sam walking and offered him a ride to a hotel but then.. then i went inside with him and.." her tears were flowing like a waterfall now.

"i can't believe you." i walked away before i could do anything i'd regret. she's my teammate and friend, and sam was my friend too. hurting the mother of his future child would be disrespectful to him and his family.

"it's not like she did it on purpose. let's just go pick out paint colors, come on ba-"

"i don't care about paint at this moment, jack." i interrupted.

"you better do everything in your damn power to keep this child safe because if you don't, the only part of sam we will have left will be gone."

carly nodded quickly, wiping her nose against her sleeve. "i understand. i think i should tell his parents."

i went to the kitchen and wrote down lori's number on a notepad. "start there. good luck carly."

i grabbed jack's hand and pulled him out of the apartment.

"time to look at paint."