no slipping up (if you slip away)

i have absolutely no idea how the police take statements or how long you can delay it, this is just me going off what i imagine may happen.

also, i'm definitely not a dancer so i don't know if loosing your balance in a pirouette will make you fall but yano 🤷🏼‍♀️

—————

"when i was younger i saw;
my daddy cry, and curse at the wind;
he broke his own heart and i watched;

as he tried to reassemble it;"

'the only exception' - paramore

—————

"since when did you dance?"

"argh!" ryan stumbled, failing to balance his pirouette after jody's question. he looked up from his place on the grass as jody laughed.

"it's not funny jodes," he growled in annoyance.

"i wish i caught that on camera," she smiled, holding her hand out for the skinny boy to take. he accepted it rather reluctantly.

they stood around for a moment and ryan was about to tell jody to shove off when she spoke,

"answer the question then," she prompted to no avail.

"what?"

"when did you start dancing and how come you didn't tell anyone?" she reworded her question but ryan didn't comment, he was too stressed. it had been a week since mike and may li found out about his father's situation, both care workers were anxiously waiting for his decision. should he give a statement or refuse?

dance was always a stress reliever for the boy and it had been working until jody interrupted.

he shook his head and turned his attention back to the question at hand.

"uh, i don't know. i used to dance when i lived with mum," he said, gaining a twistedfond look in his eye. and dad.

his face hardened.

"leave us alone yeah," he muttered, crossing his arms.

jody put her hands up in a surrendering motion and strolled off, probably eager to tell the other residents. after ten more minutes of dancing, ryan heard mike's call for lunch.

grumbling to himself the boy walked towards the house and entered the kitchen. all the residents looked up at his arrival as both care workers left, satisfied all the children were there.

ryan ignored their stares and sat next to bailey when the football maniac pulled out a chair next to him.

"what?" he snapped at them.

"nothing," carmen said nonchalantly.

he shook his head and looked down, thanking bailey as he put some sandwiches on his plate.

"it's just..." carmen continued. ryan rolled his eyes, "jody told me what you were doing in the garden,"

ryan watched jody from the corner of his eyes and saw her moving uncomfortably. guess she didn't want carmen to spill.

"lay off him carmen," she told the pink clad girl. she brushed away the statement and turned back to the skinny boy.

"why didn't you tell us you danced?"

floss looked up in excitement,

"you do? we can be dancing partners!"

ryan sent her an awkward smile and turned back to carmen,