Chapter 29

Everyone is at lunch at none other than the Mess Hall. I don't want to clean it, but it's better than having to fulfill worse punishments. At least Corporal Levi didn't kick me out of his squadron. As long as I'm still in the Survey Corps, I'll deal with any punishment.

The Mess Hall seems full today. There aren't many new recruits, but there are more than have been previously entering, so now the hall is bustling with more people than it was previously built for.

I look around and I see everyone sitting down at our regular table, except that Hanji is now there as well, leaving me no room to sit with them. I see two open seats, one with a bunch of boys who I don't know, including Reiner and Berthold, and the other is where Hanji is supposed to be, next to all the captains. I choose against both, so I start walking back outside with my tray of food. I don't want to bother my friends, and I also don't want to sit in those other seats, so outside is my best option.

I decide to eat with Mister, after all, I enjoy his company very much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stables are quiet and solitary. All the horses seem weighed down with the excess cargo they must carry. Poor Mister seems fatigued and hungry, so I give him a bit of hay so we can both enjoy a good meal. He moves his huge head to thank me. "No problem, Mister!" I then wash my hands and start eating.

Our food consists of a piece of bread and some rice, once in a while, some soup. Those are the rations that they give us. The captain's have no say in it, only the people can supply us with food, and this is all they can afford. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

"What are you doing?" I jump, dropping all my food on the ground. A tear escapes my eyes. My food! I am outraged and turn around to see who scared me. My anger completely fades away when I see Corporal Levi, and is replaced with fear. But then, that also fades as I glare at him. He made me drop my food, after all!

"Nothing." I say, not really caring if he heard me or not. I start picking up my food. Once it's all off the ground, I throw it in the trash behind the stable. The Corporal is just standing with his arms crossed, and the expression he always carries.

He just stares at me, and those grey eyes send shivers down my spine, I don't know why. I can tell he won't leave untill I tell him. "I was eating here." I sit down on the ground, my legs crossed. Corporal Levi is still standing by the doorway. I stare at the smudges of food on the floor, savoring what had been my lunch.

I feel someone slump down next to me, and I know right away that it's the Corporal. He has his knees bent up, holding them with his hands which are wrapped around them. I can't see him clearly, since I only stare out the corner of my eye. I shift around, moving further. He is so close right now.

I suddenly wonder when I got the ease to speak with the Captain of my squadron.

Silence fills us, and Mister tries to make it better by moving around and snorting. I quiet him down, shushing him. I see Corporal Levi lift an eyebrow at this.

Now it's my turn to ask a question. "Uh.... uh.... Corporal.... why doesn't anyone know your last name?" I am extremely curious as to why this is, yet he stays quiet, signifying he will not answer. I stay quite. That is, untill I feel something placed on my lap. I see a small plate with a piece of bread, and on the side, a little soup. I smile and start eating. Corporal Levi just grunts and continues to stare at Mister. When I finish I place the plate on the floor next to me. "T-thank you..." I slightly bow my head.

He stays quiet. Then, I remember the picture on his wall. "Uh... Corporal.... why did you keep my brother's drawing?" I see a hint of red on his cheeks, making me giggle. I do it quietly, though, so he doesn't hear. He looks so cute when he blushes. Wait, where did that come out from? Cute? Since when do I think of the Corporal as cute. I shiver at the thought.

"There is no need for you to know that, Cadet." He sneers at the word cadet. He is so mean, yet that picture on his wall as well as the small change in color on his face indicated otherwise. He is a nice person.

I smile. He is a nice person. He helped me train, he let me stay with my brother, and he even brought me some food. He just doesn't like to show emotions. But he is nice.

I turn around and find grey eyes staring into mine. I stay staring at them for who knows how long, and when I finally realize who they belong to, I simultaneously turn around and blush. What has gotten into me!?

He sighs as I feel movement next to me, and I turn back around to find him leaving. I still have the full heat on my face, and hope he doesn't turn back around. Thankfully, he doesn't, he just tells me something from door.

"Don't forget that you're cleaning the entire Mess hall tonight." Yeah, I won't forget. "It's a lot of work for one person alone, so I'll help." With that, he leaves.

See, he is nice!