Chapter 3: Confessions & Misdeed

Jeff shook my shoulders. Reluctantly, I sat up and yawned.

"Where's Liu?" I asked, rubbing my eyes idly.

"He's gone home," Jeff said. "Aren't you supposed to be home by nine?"

"Oh shit, what time is it now?"

"Six," Jeff checked his watch and laughed. "You were snoring."

"Seriously?"

"Yes." Jeff stood up and grinned. "I wanna show you something before we head home."

I followed Jeff out of the barn. It was getting dark but the sight was still clear. We passed through some bushes. Jeff found a hidden, unsullied track that led all the way into the deepest part of the woods. Neither of us spoke. I was slightly concerned about what might be lurking behind those hedges. I had heard that there were snakes and foxes. I would be fine with squirrels but wolves? Nah, I had better flee before it got dark completely.

"Hm...Jeff? What're we doing here?"

I didn't like the eerie atmosphere. I thought I heard a rustle and a howl.

"What? Are you afraid?" Jeff smirked, stroking my hair. "We're here anyway."

He pointed to an old tree.

"Come up here."

He took my hand and we climbed the tree. Honestly, I wasn't so good at sports. I hated climbing up a tree but Jeff's arms were unexpectedly strong. In his grip, I felt safe. He got me onto a giant branch.

Jeff crawled closer to the end of the branch.

"Cling closer to me, Jane," he hissed. I scooted closer and gasped. There, near the rim of the branch, was a big nest, occupied by three little birds and four eggs. The mother was absent. Those tiny birds squealed and flapped their premature wings. And those eggs looked so fragile for a moment I thought they might break when the breeze came.

"Wow..." I was utterly amazed. Never in my whole life had I seen something as delicately beautiful.

"Do you like it?" Jeff giggled. "I think these eggs will hatch in a few days. And these babies will soon learn to fly."

"Jeff, how did you find this?" I asked.

"Oh, I came here a week ago. You know, when Mum confsicated my games and I was feeling down for a while, I walked around the neighbourhood and discovered this place."

"Aren't you sacred there might be other animals around?"

"Oh Jane, don't ruin this beautiful atmosphere. It's okay as long as we don't bump into one."

I pinched him in the arm.

"Ouch! What's that for?" Jeff groaned.

"Nothing," I said. "Just feel like being mean to you."

I giggled and climbed down the tree.

"Fine, and I'm not going to show you any more of my treasures." Jeff pouted and folded his arms.

"What? You have more awesome things to show me?"

"Show me."

"Beg me."

I gave him a small punch on the chest. He caught my wrist and laughed.

"Like I said, you look cute when you're angry."

I blushed.

Hold on a second, why am I blushing?

Jeff squatted down and pulled out something from his pocket. It was a can of tuna fish. He opened the tin and whistled. Within seconds, two kittens...oh my god, two adorable kittens hopped out from nowhere and bounced onto Jeff.