Heather

I hear my alarm and immediately sit up. I stretch in bed for a few seconds before walking over to my dresser and turning off my radio. Six o’clock in the morning. I quietly walk out of my room to the bathroom across the hall. After removing my pajamas, I step into a hot shower and finish in about seven minutes. After squeezing the water out of my hair, I wrap myself in my favorite green towel and walk back to my room. I open my dresser and quickly pull out skinny jeans and a floral blouse, along with my brand new black bandeau. It’s the first day back to school, I have to make sure that I look good, but I can’t try too hard. My sister, Evie, is probably still asleep.

I walk downstairs and decide to make coffee. While the coffee brews, I go back upstairs and put on some socks and my black thigh-high boots and brush my hair. I pick up my phone and check the time. Six twenty-five. I smile at the large amount of time I still have, and plug in my headphones. Setting my music on shuffle, I continue to listen as I walk back downstairs. The coffee’s ready, and I pour some into a mug. I walk over to the refrigerator and get creamer, and the sugar is on the counter. It is now six thirty, and I decide to see if Evie has even gotten out of bed yet.

“Evie!” I knock on her door, removing an ear bud. “Are you awake?”

“Yeah…” she mumbles. “What time is it?”

“Six thirty. Get up.”

“What?? I wanted to take a shower! Heather! Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” I hear her get out of bed and she opens her bedroom door.

“I have to get ready, too. You’ll be fine. I made coffee.” I feel kind of bad, but it really isn’t my fault.

            “Will you pour me some?”

            “Fine. Just hurry.” I sigh and Evie closes her door.

            I go downstairs and make Evie some coffee. I drink mine. I look in a mirror, and realize I’ve forgotten my makeup! I run back upstairs and stand in front of the mirror in my room. Light blue eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss, and done. It’s six fifty. Whoa. How did that happen?

            “Evie?” I say while standing outside of the bathroom.

            “Ya,” it sounds like she’s brushing her teeth.

            “Are you almost ready? You have like ten minutes.”

            “Mhm.”

            “Good.”

            She walks out with a black band t-shirt with red words, something I can’t read. Then there’s her black skinny jeans, black Vans, black rubber bracelets with more words that I can barely read, black eyeliner, black eye shadow, oh my God, my little sister is going gothic. At least her strawberry blonde hair is in cute pigtails.

            “Wow, Evelynn, do you have enough black?”

            “I don’t think so, want to take me shopping?”

            “No.”

            “Didn’t think you would. And please do not call me Evelynn.”

            “I hope you don’t dress like that all the time. It’s embarrassing. You’re going to regret this year.”

            “Wow, you sure are encouraging. You could at least try to make me feel secure about my first year in high school.” Evie rolls her eyes at me.

            “Oh don’t remind me.”

            “Why? Scared of me growing up too fast?”

            “No. Now I have to deal with a little emo girl following me around at school, asking me one hundered questions a minute.”

            Her eyes widen. “Okay, first of all, I’m not ‘emo’, and second of all, you’re not so fun to be around in public either.”

            “Shut up. I’m going to help you a lot this year and you’ll be thankful. Now it’s time to go.” I put on my backpack and walk downstairs, and out the door. Evie runs after me, leaving her coffee on the counter.