Summer and Fall [1/2]

It was unfortunate, really. Kim Jisoo was a beautiful girl, and her parents worried that she'd go to waste. It was tragic that the small words on her wrist read out a phrase most people used in courtesy of someone else while her parents had some of the most specific phrases that lead to a very interesting first meeting.

Jisoo remembered her mother telling her of how horrified she was when her father spoke the words, "Are you an angel?" in the midst of him bleeding out on the middle of the sidewalk on a snowy, winter day. She was just a medical student then and knew only the basics of first aid.

Jisoo knew she wouldn't have that kind of luck, hearing the phrase written on her wrist more times than she'd like on a daily basis. As a child, she was ecstatic when she'd heard it for the first time in the beginning of first grade when she handed the boy next to her a pencil he had dropped. Once she claimed that they were supposed to fall in love, the little boy adamantly refused, the words on his wrist bearing different from the one's she had said.

She went home crying that day, her parents unable to do something about their only child's situation. As Jisoo grew older, she began using a strategy. For every person who's first words to her were, 'thank you' she'd reply with, "no problem-o," and possibly a long, winded paragraph after that to ensure that the person she was talking to was the one.

She forgot about it a week later, settling with a smile as a response, realizing that maybe not saying anything was easier. She also tried avoiding any situation that would've required her to hear the words, 'thank you', but her conscience and overly kind demeanor failed her otherwise.

Now 23, Kim Jisoo has settled with the knowledge that she would never be able to find her soulmate. Knowing herself, she'd probably already met them... maybe they're phrase was as generic as hers? She shook her head, focusing back on the task in front of her.

Ironically enough, she works as a wedding coordinator. She hated how good she was at her job; it got her more clients, which meant more happy couples she'd have to envy and help. She honestly didn't know she'd make a career out of this, she was just trying to help one of her best friends, Jennie, with her wedding.

But, as luck would have it, people noticed how good she was while she was 'helping'. At first she thought it was a good idea; earning more money doesn't hurt. Overtime she started to regret her decisions, realizing just how lonely she actually was, "ugh, I hate my life."

"Hun, you'll find your man sooner or later."

"No, I won't. I give up! I hear the words 'thank you' so much I actually think the universe is playing with me."

"What about that lil' flower next to it?" Jisoo looked down at her right wrist, skimming over the small, purple flower bud located on the bottom right corner of the phrase.

"You know, I really don't know why it's there. Do you have a flower near yours?"

"Nope. Mine just has the name of a flower." Chaeyoung raised her wrist, the red and silver ink almost glistening in the sunlight. It read, 'woah... roses?' which didn't make any sense, making it likelier for Chaeyoung to find her dearest.

"Chae, you have no idea how lonely I've felt for a while," Jisoo put down the pen in her hand, deciding to take a break with her next couple's arrangements (their wedding was still a few months away, anyway).

"Soo, I haven't found my soulmate, either."

Jisoo scoffed, "but you will, that's the difference."

"Lighten up, you old woman," Chaeyoung stood up, going behind Jisoo to pat her shoulder, "you'll find your forever."

Jisoo could only sigh, taking Chaeyoung's hand into hers as she closed her eyes. If she was being honest with herself, the only future she saw was one with a butt load of money and a house full of cats-- no, dogs. A house full of dogs. Her dream of having kids was already out the window; maybe she could adopt?