Chapter Fourteen

Loki P.O.V-

       Melanie is interrogating another informative when I use our connection several weeks after I first broke my silence. So far the man has lost an ear and the entire bottom row of teeth. Melanie circles the hopeless man as she asks question after question and with each unsuitable answer she rips off another part. By the time I decide I can no longer watch, Melanie begins taking the fingernails. Coming back to myself, I sit back in my chair in my royal chambers and breathe in a long saddening breath.

"What have I done?" I say aloud to myself.

This was never meant to be the outcome of taking Melanie and making her my servant. She was never meant to be so vengeful with her actions as I am. These past several weeks it seems a violence has taken root in her that even I cannot comprehend and her anger towards me grows. Near the end of our time on the island I was optimistic about our joint futures. I was beginning to think of her as a companion, someone I could finally share my darkest thoughts with who could provide an antidote to my suffering. Instead it looks as though my teachings have ignited a fire in her. Now I know I must repair the damage I have done, but how I go about doing so is still a mystery to me. For now I must watch her and maybe curve her actions. If I cannot mend this then we both are doomed.

After a while I look again and see Melanie is in her car headed back to her flat.

Tough day on the job? I ask. She jumps again and almost hits another car.

"Why do you keep getting into my head at every wrong moment?" She says regaining control of the vehicle.

I do not strive to. Would you like me to say something as a warning? maybe 'Loki here'

"How about nothing at all ."

I did not know you were capable of fear any longer. By the way you handle interrogations now, I would think nothing frightens you.

"What's wrong with having a little fun with the weak ones? Besides, it lets the other employers know not to displease me." She grips her steering wheel tighter.

Melanie, this is not what I meant when I told you to gain more control. The extent to which you torture is not like you.

"Oh, and you know so much about me? You torture and kill countless humans for your personal gain and you tell me after only a few heated sessions to back off?" Melanie's voice goes rigid.

Maybe when I was just as ruthless, but I am still changing for you so why have you decided to become the female version of my former self? I fell in love with you because of your strength, not for how brutal you could be. Why must you be so cruel?
She has arrived at her flat and parks on the side street. I can hear her breath hitching.

"When you left me after we did what we did, it felt like.....like I failed. When you told me you were leaving the first time, I knew I couldn't let you leave or you would lose everything I did for you. So in an extreme attempt to keep you I made love to you thinking if I gave such a precious thing up for you somehow you would stay with me. Then you left, leaving only a stupid note and a damn list of instructions while you lay back in Asgard watching me run around to your assignments. It doesn't seem fair. I have all of this power. Why can't I use it." She blinks several times to clear the impending tears before getting out of her car and going to the door.

Melanie, I know this arrangement is less than ideal, but it is the only way, at least, for now. I wish more than anything to be able to guide you with my own hands. Being away from you hurts me more than even I can fathom, but I cannot allow you to continue on this path of terror. 

She has sat herself down in a chair by the window while I explain myself.

"I'm doing what I think is fair. You left me down here to make deals and trades with seedy weak business men who still think a woman can't possibly be a good dealer. By the way, aren't you supposed to be taking over your kingdom?"

There has been a slight hitch in my plans, but I am still capable of taking the throne. Would that help you forgive my absence?

She puts a finger between her teeth in thought then smiles.

"It might."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

. vote and comments are lovingly accepted! <3