Book Review

"AN ANCIENT WORD OF WISDOM FREES THIS SCHOOL AND HELPS US KEEP HER SCATTER'D FAMILY WHOLE A HEADSTONE PRAISED BY TEMPLARS IS THE KEY AND ATBUSH WILL REVEAL THE TRUTH TO THEE."

My pulse raced. My hearbeat quickened. I felt like hyperventilating while reading this one of so many brain teasing passages from the bestseller book Da Vinci Code written by one of the most accomplished thriller writers Dan Brown. No wonder, more than 35 million copies were sold worldwide since its release in 2003. I can't blame them; this novel is really "blockbuster perfection" as The New York Times describe it.

What makes the book different from the piles of suspense thriller novels is that it is based on facts ranging from the descriptions of paintings, the settings, documents, and codes down to its sensational historical background. If I were to describe it, it is somewhere on the border line of reality and fiction that it was hard for me to convince myself that what I'm reading is just a novel when the author presents myriad of actual details with almost perfect accuracy.

The book stirred up different emotions from readers around the globe as supported by its sale. In the University alone, many expressed their admiration on the brilliant, endowed ability of the author to flawlessly spin intrigue, mystery, menace murder and anticipation into one web that will entangle its readers into breathless trail. But many show repulsive abhorrent reactions against the content of the story. The Catholic church was heavily affected dubbed the book as antichurch. Coincidentally, the story has something to deal with the doctrines of the church itself.

The main character of the novel is Robert Langdon, a Harvard symbologist who was presently in Paris to give lecture regarding pagan symbolism. He was awakened by a phone call in the middle of the night. It was about the aged curator of Musee du Louvre. Jacques Sauniere has been murdered inside the Grand Gallery of the museum. His body is on the floor. Just about him are enclosed with mustifying symbols. Together with Landon is exceptional cryptologist from judicial police, Sophie Neveu, which happened to be the granddaughter of the late curator. As theyr scrutinize through the bizarre and eccentric riddles, they are dumbfounded to find out a path of clues concealed in the artworks of renowned painter Leonardo Da Vinci giving obvious hints for all to see. However, such hints were skillfully veiled by the artist.

All the more surprising, the murdered curator was involved in the Priory of Sion – a clandestine society from Europe founded in 1099 whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Victor Hugo, Robert Boyle Da Vinci, among others - and he protected a breathtaking and church devastating historical secret. Except if Langdon and Neveu can crack the labyrinthine enigma - while avoiding the unrevealed enemy who shadowed their every action with – the explosive and threatening will vanish eternally.

The plot has so many twists and turns mostly unanticipated. It is splendidly crafted that you won't avoid imagining yourself watching them on a wide screem. You will be amazed on how would the characters handle every situation especially those beat-quickening ones. This is a cleverly pedantic novel that will make your blood rush in your veins twice than normal and that will prickle your senses.

This novel will not just superb entertainment but will mark a deep impact in your life specifically your faith. I must admit mine was challenged when I was reading chapter 55. It was in this point where Teabing was revealing the appalling history of the grail and the unbelievable background of Christianity to Sophie.

Reading the book exposed me into such array of questions that don't have any definite answer. Likewise, it answered some of my queries like: why is Friday the 13th a misfortune? How is Christianity established? What is the grail all about? Why is paganism despised in the church? Why is Venus called goddess of love? Why do we call earth as 'mother earth' and not 'father earth'... and a lot more.

Da Vinci Code is really a must read book. Just a caution for those who will be reading it: pray first, clearly define the kind of faith you have end establish your guard strong and tall. However the author says no amount of facts can destroy one's faith is he or she is steadfast.