Chapter 08: what a smile can hide. - part 2

"Valt? Are you okay?"

"Wow, it looks like he's actually thinking!"

"Or just staring into space. "

"Both aren't good signs."

Valt dully hears those words echo to his ears as his chocolate brown eyes stare at the vice-like grip on his phone. A whole string of words are typed on Valt's phone and he wonders whether he should send the message to him or not.

Valt sits crossed-legged on the hotel bed in Mexico as the four haunting words Red Eye said linger around Valt;

"Shu Kurenai is dead."

The bluenette closes his eyes for a split second before something pops up beneath his closed eyelids:

~~~

{"Hey, Shu!"}

The bluenette suddenly finds himself alone in a dark room. He whips around to try and find the voice.

"Who's there?" he asks. The voice sounds strangely familiar.

{"Look what I got you!"}

Valt looks over to see a smiling Shu.

Another figure joins the albino, one with short, spiky blue hair, hazel brown eyes, wearing a red hoodie with a 'V' on it, a grayish blue vest with a beyblade symbol on the back, and blue sneakers.

Valt Aoi. The energetic, happy-go-lucky Valt who has no worries in the world....

{"Lookie here!"} Valt says. Shu laughs lightly and stands by the smaller boy.

{"What's up, Valt?"}

Valt unconsciously moves his lips along with the other Valt's words:

{"I made this for you!"} Valt unveils a red beaded headband. {"Now we can be matching!"} Shu takes the headband and pushes it into place.

{"How do I look?"}

{"Cute!"} Valt giggles and places his hands on Shu's shoulders as the older smiles softly at the boy.

Valt looks at it all with heartbroken eyes. "Why..." he whispers, "can't it go back to times like that..-?"

~~~

Valt blinks his eyes open and is met once again with the hotel bedroom and a concerned Rantaro and Cuza.

The bluenette frowns until he shouts; "why can't it all go back to that!"

His outburst scares Rantaro and Cuza who jump back in surprise.

"What's wrong, Valt? You haven't talked to us at all these past days," Cuza says.

The bluenette sighs and forces a reassuring smile on his face. "I'm fine, guys. Just a little tired is all."

The two boys exchange a worried glance.

"You sure, Valt?" Rantaro asks.

"Yup!"

"You really really sure?"

"Yup!"

"You really really really really really really really really really- "

"Yes! I'm doing just fine Honcho!" Valt jumps to his feet with faked happiness. "Let's battle to show you how fine I am!"

"I like your style! Common!" Rantaro says as he races out the room, Cuza quick on his trail. Valt halts in his steps and frowns.

'I hate lying to them. But they bought my smile, is it really that convincing? Is that why I could never actually tell what Shu was thinking? He hid all that he ever felt from me...'

The bluenette sighs before pressing the 'send' button on his phone and tossing it onto his bed. He follows the two boys with a slight trudge in his step, wiping at his suddenly teary hazel eyes. 'Please respond, Shu...'