Chapter 1

I woke up with a huge headache from last night's party. I can't remember much from it, all I know is that I drank too much and kissed too many girls. I'm not in my bed and next to me is a hot brunette, wearing only a bra and shorts. I think her name was Emily...or Kylie, I don't know.

I got up and tried to open the window. The cool air refreshes my memory. I was at the frat house and this was the first party for this school year. It's just the beginning of my second college year and I'm already drunk. I know last year I promised myself and my mother not to drink too much and waste my time, but I can't help it. I am enjoying my popularity and I really need to maintain my reputation. Otherwise, I am lost.

I grab my clothes, fix my hair and leave that room. The whole frat house was a mess. There were red cups all over the place, people sleeping on the floor, undressed girls, drunk boys and empty whiskey bottles. I made my way to the bathroom and took a shower, brushed my teeth and other stuff people do in the morning. I was looking quite fresh and ready for the first day of this school year. Before I left I took an aspirin to get rid of that annoying headache. My friends were still sleeping and I guess they have no intention to make it to classes today.

I know I have to look like a cool, bad boy, who doesn't care about school and only wants to party, but this is not me. It's a mask I'm wearing to make it alive through college. I was a geek in high school and people gave me a really hard time, so I decided I'll never have to feel that way again. I like comic books, love stories and nights with my mom watching The Vow, The Notebook or other crappy movies that she loves, but my friends will never know that and they shouldn't.

On my way to school I stopped at Starbucks to grab a coffee and something to eat. I ordered slow-roasted ham and cheddar breakfast sandwich, blueberry whole-grain oatmeal and my usual no sugar coffee. While I was eating, I saw a girl waiting for her order. She had long blonde hair and she was wearing black jeans, a white t-shirt with the band The Neighbourhood, dark red converse, a leather jacket and on her shoulder was a cute bag. She had full red lips and big blue eyes, shadowed by full long lashes and her eyeliner was perfect. I know from my mom it's a hard thing to do, to get perfect eyeliner. When she got her caramel hot chocolate I tried to see the name on it, but all I could see was ,,A". I thought about following her out, but damn, I was hungry.

She gave me a quick look and then she left. Until I finished my food I thought about her. I don't know why but she really got my attention. I am used to seeing beautiful girls and it's easy for me to win their hearts, but she seemed different. From the way she stood there waiting with her pouted lips and the way her hair fell on her shoulders in waves of gold, she was stunning. I wish I would've followed her.

I got in the college yard and searched for my friends. Of course they were nowhere to be seen. I stood on a bench waiting to hear the bell so I could go to my first class. There were freshmen all over the place asking for help, or transporting their stuff in their dorm rooms. I remember how nervous I was in my first year, too. I was trying to play cool, like it's no big deal, but I was really excited and also nervous. I was far from home, no one knew me and I could be whoever I wanted to be. Unfortunately, I became who they wanted me to be..

As I was lost in my thoughts from last year, a girl approached me, obviously looking for her class. When I lifted up my head from the ground I recognized her. She was the ,,A" girl from Starbucks. She seemed a little surprised to see me, too.

"Hey, there! " she gave me a small smile. "Do you know where's the Literature class?"

"Yea,sure. Do you want me to take you there?" I say lazily. I hope she'll say yes.

"If that's ok with you.."

I got up and showed her the way. I was hoping she's not a freshman, because I know I'm not supposed to talk to them, since I am more popular and stuff, but she's cute and she needs help so..

"I didn't catch you name, by the way.."

"Oh, I'm Aylin. And you are..." her smile is so cute.

"Too cool to talk to you.." a voice interrupts us. I realize it's Maya, my friend. I love her, but she can be a bitch sometimes.

"Excuse me?" Aylin asks her irritated.

"It's ok, honey, you're new here. You'll see how things work soon."

"Maya, shut up. I was showing her the way to her class." I stop her before she gets too rude." I'll see you around, Aylin."

I left her confused. All she could say was "Sure..", then I realised she didn't know my name. "I'm Zayn, by the way.." I tell her loudly as I reach the stairs. She was still watching me and when she heard me she gave me that cute smile again.

"Really, Maya? You always have to be rude, right?" I grab her hand as I lower my voice.

"What the hell, Zayn?! She's a freshman and I've heard she's a freak."

"She just got here, how did you hear that so soon?"

"I ..just know.. it, ok?"

"Come one, Maya, you always judge people so fast. She needed help and you guys were nowhere to be seen, so I thought I should help her."

"You don't fancy her, do you?" she laughs.

"Her? No way, definitely not my type." I obviously lie to her. I realise it's too soon to tell, but she was nice, I don't know..

I go to all my classes today and get back to my dorm room. My roommate isn't here. I think he's still at the frat house, sleeping. Luckily, I don't have any homework to do, so I decide to go to my secret place, where I listen to music, read, draw or sing. Nobody knows about it. It's my escape. It's a nice place not far from here, on the rooftop of a block. I found it while I was taking pictures with a friend. The view it's amazing and I like to see the sundown from here.

I take my books, my headphones and leave. I need to clear my head from last night, but I admit my thoughts fly to Aylin.