Can Society Function Without Respect? | Essay

While most Americans revel in the sound image of their nation — freedom, prosperity, fate — somewhere a lonesome whistle blows. The eternal sound of an uncertain train with uncertain passengers has arrived. In the passengers' eyes is a lust for a new world, but trepidation crosses their wrinkled foreheads. Some look to the passengers with contempt, desiring to construct barriers with the faces charred by the southern sun on one side and the content, affluent façades on the other. When walls are built, then to what extent has our humanity been lost? When the Latin and South American passengers — whether by circumstances certain or uncertain — are treated inhumanely by Americans, what does this mean? Only with respect and admiration for other cultures can both illegal immigration and overriding authority end. To do so, Americans must respect the languages spoken and the cultures in Latin and South American countries, as well as listen to the engrossing tales of the newcomers.

Without communication, no society can function. The majority of people learn languages initially by the dull memorization of terms; however, this is not the ideal method. Rather, grasping the human emotion or concept that pertains to the word is. Some Americans associate Spanish with a rapid firing of unintelligible phrases, while others may shy away from learning it due to the abundance of difficulty and unfamiliarity. But to have respect for the cultures of Latin and South America, one must acquire the courage to learn the languages of the nations: Spanish and Portuguese. Both are passionate and sentimental languages which utilize phrases difficult to translate. One Portuguese word in particular sweeps over the Brazilian population; it harnesses the differing opinions of multiple people and focuses on the tendencies and sentiments familiar to all instead. The arresting word is known as "solidão," meaning "solitude" or "the presence of absence." What is the adverse loss of a dear lover, companion, or family member? This is solidão. What is the affectionate tendency to gape at the ocean, enthralled by the tugging waves that give and take away? This is solidão. The word's effective mystery has captivated the Portuguese and Brazilians for many years. However, neither Portuguese nor Spanish are required to learn in America from a young age. This intellectual heist has swept the knowledge and emotional development that comes with learning multiple languages from under a new generation of America's feet.

Once the majority of Americans educate themselves in the languages of Latin and South American countries, then they can better understand the hearts of the immigrants. Foreigners filtering into America have told their tales on sites such as MyImmigrationStory.com. E.G. from Albany, New York vibrantly illustrates her tale, describing the difficult choices she must make in life. Her father was taken away from her at a young age and her mother is in constant fear of being captured and deported to her home country. However, E.G. is president of the debate team at her school and declares that her fellow classmates are "uniform" in that they do not know what it is like to be an immigrant, obtaining no sympathy for millions of foreigners. She is split between two separate lives: the love of the debate team and politics compel her forward, but the fear for her mother and the longing for her father loom over her head constantly. Society must willingly sympathize with and admire immigrants like E.G., viewing them not as foreigners, but as human beings. Without doing so, no justice can be served to the people of the world and peace will never flourish.

Respect is the first step to a companionship between Americans and their southerly counterparts. Once society reveres the languages of Latin and South American countries, comprehending the complexity, radiance, and passion they obtain, then the barriers are broken accordingly. By teaching Spanish or Portuguese from a young age in America, a new generation of citizens are able to benefit from it. They can understand the immigrants wholly, connect with them, and instead of enforcing strict laws, love their fellow man. Opinions and politics do not withstand the winds of time and change. However, human emotion and stories of the past do, soaring above empires in discord and establishing an eternal paradise.