Chapter Three

"I'm telling you Kim, they said yes." While Mr. and Mrs. McPherson were at Madam Dew Foster Home, Starla remained seated in the car. She was glad that she brought her phone along, because for the past thirty minutes she hadn't seen a single soul escape the door's to the hopeless, except the cleaners, and the cook, who entered with two bags of groceries from the local store.

"They hadn't even put their minds before yours? Wow, Star! You scored this time."

Starla laughed. "I guess... sorry that I couldn't go to the movies today, I know you wanted..."

"Girl, you have important things on your mind right now, and that's more important." Kim sighed. "Hell, I still can't believe they said yes, I tell you Star, it's going to rain kittens and puppies because of their change of scenery." Starla laughed, still looking at the bronze coated wooden door, with the huge handles and hinges – Those days are over – She reminded herself.

"Mrs. Stephens will be with you shortly." The secretary at Madam Dew Foster Home said, as she straightened her black suit, and picked up the clipboard containing the McPherson's personal information and their file when they adopted Starla. Mrs. McPherson gripped her husband's hand tight.

"Damn Rebecca, if you're going to crush my hand, are you really going to let me suffer?" Mr McPherson joked, his whole mouth curled.

"Conrad, is that a smile I'm seeing?" He pressured the smile away, to bring the same abstract expression, but only for a few seconds. "I knew it." Mrs. McPherson let go of her husband's hand and softly hit the varnished oak table in front of her.

"What?" Her husband asked.

"You like the idea of having a new pair of feet in the house, after all, a son."

"You know me too good." Mr. McPherson brought his wife into a hug and kissed her forehead. "I guess I was also too hard on the little girl."

Mrs. McPherson pulled herself away from her husband, and took his hands. "I told you that, but you wouldn't listen. I'm glad you have come to your senses." She winked.

The door to the office opened to reveal the same secretary, carrying a silver stray with a tea pot, three cups and a few other things. "Mrs. Stephens is coming, only another difficult cliental." She put the tray on the desk, next to the paper pad and pen. "Please, make yourself at home, here are some tea, but if you want coffee there is a pot, just behind you." She smiled.

"Thank you Patricia." Mr. McPherson said, as he hugged his wife.

"I don't want to intrude, but is there a problem with the Starla child?" The secretary asked, because she was the same secretary there was when Starla got adopted.

"No..." Mrs. McPherson chocked as she poured the herbal tea, almost tipping the tea cup over. "We love her very much."

"Rebecca still won't conceive, that's why we're here to adopt another youngling."

"Aww, that's so sweet... you know many of these children won't be so lucky, but you're going to make another child see their future in a whole brighter light." The McPhersons smiled, amused. "You two are gifts straight from heaven." With that she turned around and went back to the lobby.

Mr. McPherson went about and poured himself a cup of coffee. "I think it's time for an upgrade." He said to himself, and nodded.

"What now?" Mrs. McPherson said, eating the cookie Patricia brought a few moments ago.

"The poor Starla lived for three years in the basement, Rebecca, she's not an animal, or a house pet."

Mrs. McPherson grunted with a smirk spreading over her face. "What happened to you, Conrad? I barely know my husband." She joked.