48 》 the worst complexion

Ronnie's POV

He was laying there under the dim hospital lights that brought out the worst in his pale complexion.

A man once full of life was now on the brink of death.

I was fearful to walk up to the bed but I had to say goodbye or I would never forgive myself.

I slowly placed one foot in front of the other, taking deep breaths in my stride.

I sat down on the purple leather chair at the side of him.

Facing the heart monitor.

It was beeping slow and seemed as though it would give up at any moment.

We were far away from California but he made it feel like home.

He was my home; my safe place.

I couldn't lose him.

I held out my shaky hand and placed it on his that was laid at his side.

My skin came to contact with his and I winced at his freezing touch.

I looked upwards so I would soak up the tears threatening to spill.

I had to be strong for him.

I took deep breaths and placed my hand on his.

Stroking the back of his hand with my thumb like he would always do to me.

It soothed me so hopefully it would set his mind to a peaceful place and to end any pain he had.

If this was his final moments then they needed to be good ones.

I took a final deep breath and picked up the courage to speak to someone who couldn't hear me,

"Colby.. I don't know if you can hear me or not but- um- I need to say s-something-" I manage to choke out.

I calm myself and continue,

"Ever since the day I met you, I was amazed. You were so kind and- and you out yourself out there. You seemed so confident and I thought you were too cool for me. I soon learned that you were actually sweet and gentle, you cared about.. me more than anyone ever had-" I said quietly as I gripped his hand for the feeling he gave me.

Our memories flashing by me quick enough for them to be gone forever,

"You loved me and I love you. You protected me and you waited for me. The day of our wedding- I felt like a princess. You made me feel special and as though I was the only girl in the world. That year we were apart- the hope of seeing you again was the only reason I had to wake up and work hard. You encouraged me to be myself and you made me feel like a million bucks-" I smiled to myself as I was overwhelmed by all of the good times that overloaded my brain,

"I know that we don't have much time left but- I know you aren't feeling great but if you are still in there. Just know- I'm still as in love with you from that night we locked eyes. It was the moment that I stood there in the game room- that I knew you were extrodinary. I knew that you were the one-" I managed as I spoke now violently shaking.

I sat on the edge of my seat, my knees buckled in place.

I placed my other hand underneath his.

I rested my head on my hand,

"Colby. I don't know what I will do without you- i need you. I love you, Colby. Please- please don't leave me" I sobbed as I gripped his hand tighter,

"Please-" I cried out,

"I can't lose you again", I say.

I cry and I cry.

My chest feeling heavy.

I never knew what it was like to lose a loved one because no one close to me had ever died.

I finally was feeling it and it hit me hard.

I couldn't move because it felt as though a 1000 pound weight had been dropped on me.

I wanted to scream.

I wanted to smash and punch shit.

But I couldn't.

I was trapped.

In pain and anger.

Like a lion in a cage waiting to escape and cause destruction.

As I started to sniffle and feel sorry for myself,

A consistent and rapid beep came from the room.

My head slowly raised to look up and around at my surroundings.

The heart monitor was beeping faster and faster.

His heart rate was growing in numbers and it wasn't declining,

"Nur- NURSE! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!" I cried out begging for someone to listen.

I kissed his hand and ran out of the room.

I flung the door wide open causing for it to slam against the wall violently,

Catching all my stressed party,

"Ronnie!" Sam called out and I started to stream tears that I had been holding back.

I ignored him and continued to run to the front desk,

"His- his- his heart! It beating- his heart is beating-" I managed to spit out as 4 doctors came rushing in from the hall at the other side of the room.

The nurse behind the desk ran after them and closed the doors behind her.

I walked over to the door and looked through the window.

The machine that you seen in movies was held against his chest.

A gradual zapping noise turned into a shock.

His whole chest shot up from the bed.

I winced and turned around,

Holding myself against the person behind me,

"Hey- shh- he is going to be okay" Aaron said calmly,

"He's not- he not coming back" I cried and Aaron continued to rub my back.

As scream silenced everyone in the surrounding area.

Colby.