three

3rd Person POV
Ten years ago, September...

"Hey, Fumi-chan!" A young girl, no older than 7 years old called out to her friend who was quietly sitting on a bench. When she did not get any response, the girl decided to approach him.

"Fumi-chan? Are you alright?" She asked in concern.

"What is the purpose of my existence?" Her friend asked monotonously, not answering her question.

Confused, she tilted her head in a cute manner and blinked. Then, she realised that her friend was shaking. She was starting to freak out until loud sniffles could be heard. He was crying.

"Hey, Fumi-chan. Everything's going to be just fine..." She whispered into his ear. If it were anyone else, he would have asked them to go away. But her voice was different from most people. It was soothing and comforting, just like his mother.

"Nothing is alright! How can anything be alright?!" He snapped and looked up at his only friend with bloodshot eyes.

The girl was slightly taken aback, but remained calm anyway. "Want to talk about it?"

He nodded, wiping his tears away. "D... Dark Shadow went out of control again and... and... It hurt mama..."

She remained silent and rubbed circles on his back, encouraging him to continue.

"Why do I even exist?" He thought aloud.

"You exist for many reasons, Fumi-chan,"

"Like to hurt people?"

The young girl decided to remain silent and not respond to that.

"Y...You should stop being friends with me, you'll get hurt. I'm dangerous, nobody wants to be my friend except for you. You don't deserve this..." He suggested with a hint of sadness in his eyes.

"No. I don't care what happens, I know that you would never do anything to hurt me. At least... Not on purpose. I don't care what you or others say, I want to be your friend and I'll always be by your side," She shook her head and replied, flashing him a smile.

"Promise?" He asked in a small voice.

"Promise." She replied as their pinkies interlocked.(Ok why does this sound wierd)

The boy said nothing as the two best friends continued sitting on the bench, staring at the sunset.

Less than a week later, the girl moved away and they never saw each other again. It was then that the boy realised that he never got her name.

Tokoyami's POV
Present Day...

"For the last time, Call me Tsu!"

"Sorry... Tsu..." I apologised, making eye contact with her.

There was something about her that seemed familiar, but I just could not figure out what it was.

Is it her face? Her voice? Why does she seem so familiar?

"So, what are you doing here, Tokoyami?" She asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.