➸in the beginning

"A story has no beginning or end:
arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience
 from which to look back or from which to look ahead." 

*Arabella*

     "Bella! Slow down!" Declyn chuckled, chasing after me. I giggled and ran faster, getting ever closer to the scarlet steam engine that loomed ahead. I slowed and looked behind me, trying to locate my twin. As soon as I did, I ran into something. Or rather, someone. I gulped and looked up. 

     "Um, hello. I'm sorry, I wasn't looking." I told the long-haired, blond man in front of me. He looked down his nose at me, a permanent scowl on his face. I quickly stood up and dusted off my pants. "I'm just gonna...go."  I said, turning on my heel and swiftly walking away. 

     "Wait!" A feminine voice called behind me. I stopped and sighed, turning back around to see a beautiful woman with two colored hair. Like literally just half black and half white. "I'm sorry dear, but you look so familiar. Do, do I know you?" 

     "N-no. Probably not. You see, my brother and I, we just moved back from the States. We've been living there since we were 4. My dad thought it would be a good idea since my mom was murd-uh. Since my mom died." I hurriedly explained, not knowing if I should trust this woman enough to tell her about my mother's murderer. As strange as it was, the Dark Lord did still have followers these days. 

     "Oh. Very well. What's your name then, dear?" She asked kindly. 

     "Arabella Havanna." 

     "H-Havanna?! That's why. You look just like your mother." She muttered, stepping closer. She gently stroked my face, as if I were a porcelain doll that could break at any moment. 

     "Narcissa Malfoy! Step away from my daughter!" I heard my father command from behind me. The woman jerked and immediately lowered her hand. 

     "Well perhaps, Eric," The man from earlier drew in an annoyingly slow voice. "You should teach your daughter some manners." He practically spat the word 'daughter' as if I were a curse. "Come, Narcissa. Draco. It's about time we leave the happy family alone." He sneered. He flipped his long cloak around his cane as he turned and walked off. The woman quickly followed him, only sparing me one last glance. What I hadn't noticed before, though, was the boy around my age standing there. His platinum blonde hair stood out against his dark clothing. I cocked my head to the side, curious about him. He opened his mouth to speak when his father screamed his name again. He flinched and immediately turned, faster than his mother had.  I had only learned one thing in our brief encounter; this child, this Draco Malfoy, was terrified of his father.