The First Step Into Moria

They had been traveling for some time now, and Caradarus was getting further and further behind them. Anya's heart began to fill with dread as they neared the mountain which, within it, was the dwelling place known as Moria. She tried to act light hearted as not to worry the hobbits, but she couldn’t hide her true feelings from Legolas, who was walking beside her as usual. Anya and Legolas stayed near the back, where Boromir was also traveling, as Aragorn walked with the hobbits and Gimli walked next to Gandalf, getting more excited with every step he took getting closer to Moria.

Anya didn’t understand how dwarves could actually live under ground, away from living beings and the sunshine, she couldn’t imagine being away from it more than a few hours. But she knew that she was going to be seeing the last rays of light as they neared the base of the mountain, where stairs were carved into the rock.

“This is where we climb,” Gandalf announced to the group, “the stream which used to flow here is now gone.” After this Gandalf began to ascend the stairs. Everyone followed close behind him. When they reached the top, everyone came to a stop.

“The water has become high and motionless,” Gandalf said. And he was right, the water went all the way up to the side of the cliffs wall.

The fellowship waded through the murky water to the shore against the cliff. Anya helped the hobbits onto the dry ground as the men carried the supplies across. Anya winced as a cruel breeze hit her wet clothes causing her to shiver. She pulled her cloak tight around her shoulders.

“This place reeks of evil,” Anya said to herself. Anya walked over to Gandalf as he pressed his fingers to the wall, “Gandalf, we must be weary here, the evil here makes my hair stand on end.”

“Take heart, we shalln’t be here much longer, for I have found the gate,” Gandalf said and a bright blue light appeared on the wall as the moonlight touched its face. A tree with seven stars surrounding it were carved into the cliff and words, in elven, read, speak friend and enter.

“Look, Gandalf’s found the entrance,” Frodo said.

“But Gandalf, how do we get in?” Anya asked, “there are no handles, and you can’t simply push it open.”

“Simple young one,” Gandalf said, “speak the password and the doors shall open.” Then Gandalf began to speak in elven, and even dwarvish, but the gate remained shut. Flustered, Gandalf began to push the doors, but with no affect.

“What do we do know?” Pippin asked.

“I will bang your head against these doors, and if that does not work,” Gandalf said to Pippin, then took a breathed and continued, “and if that does not work I will think of the right word.” The night grow long as Gandalf continued attempting to open the gateway to Moria with no avail. Anya paced the edge of the shore as the others rested against the rocks, her blades at the ready if anything were to befall them. Boromir noticed her fidgetiness and decided to go over and talk with her.

“You seem to be less cheerful than usual,” Boromir said, walking up behind her.

“I fear what lay in those mines,” Anya said.

“I think it’s more than that, just the thought of setting foot near here has made you jumpy,” Boromir said, a sympathetic smile on his face, “don’t think that Legolas is the only one who has noticed this. We can all sense your fear.” Anya looked around and saw that everyone seemed to be less cheerful than she had imagined, even Gimli seemed a bit glum.

“I'm sorry, I didn’t know I was causing such angst,” Anya said, turning back to Boromir, “it’s just that…. I've never been apart from nature, from the sun. I fear the dark of those mines…. of being trapped in there.” Boromir seemed to understand what she meant and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.