Chapter One

Chapter One

You're standing in front of Tom's house, unsure about ringing the bell or not.
"Ok" you say "it's just Tom. He will help me. And it's a way to think about other things and avoid the idea of Harrison hanging out with another girl..."
You look one more time at the door and, after a huge sigh, you press the bell.
Tom greets you with a small smile.
"Was I speaking English when I told you to wear something nice?"
You roll your eyes and enter his house.
Tom's house is nice, warm and welcoming. The walls are red and full of pictures of Tom and his brothers.
He closes the door and follows you in the living room where he finds you sitting on the sofa.
"So" he claps his hands "Are you ready for your first lesson?"
You scratch your nape, embarrassed and "Honestly... no. I mean... you hate me, what's your reward?"
Tom seats next to you "I told you. I'm doing some charity and I also have the chance to annoy the shit out of you."
"Uhm... right. So, what's the first lesson about?" you asked.
"First dates!" a shiver run down your spine "Have you ever been on a date?"
You blush a little "No. I mean, I did but it was something very simple and friendly. I don't know if they can count as proper dates."
Tom shocks his head "No. So, this will be your first date. First of all you have to change your image."
"What's wrong with my image? I like myself."
And that was truth. You are confident about yourself, you don't need expensive clothes of tons of make up to like yourself. You are beautiful in your simplicity.
"Y/N, you dress like a boy. And I'm not the only one who thinks this."
You laugh "I don't care about other people's thou-"
"Harrison was the first one to tell me this."
You stop, almost shocked. This changes everything.
"I'm not saying that you have to change completely, just... try to be more feminine" he waits a few minutes and "listen, I know that you're upset now but if you follow my advises Harrison will notice you. Just... trust me. If you don't like the result we'll stop."
You sigh for the for the umpteenth time "Ok. What's your plan?"
Tom doesn't say a word, he takes you by the hand to his bedroom.
You are pretty surprised by his words and especially by his sudden change of behavior.
While you're going upstairs your gaze is on your hands. Tom hands are warm and soft, callous on fingertips. It's a strange feeling, you had never imagined yourself at Tom's place holding hands, it was something unbelievable.
"That's my room" Tom says and his voice brings you back to reality.
The room was small and simple, with a few posters of bands on the wall and clothes scattered everywhere on the floor.
"Try this one" he gives you one of his plaid shirts "it's pretty long, you can use it as a dress. And then..." he looks around "Ok, change yourself. I'll be back in a few minutes"
You just nod and start undressing. Everything is really weird and you're still not sure if this is a good idea or not.
As Tom said, the shirt is pretty long and can look like a dress. Then you let down your hair and brush them with your fingers.
"Wow" Tom says behind you "I have here a belt that belongs to my mum and a pair of high heels. Maybe you have the same size."
You smile at him "Okay. I can try them on."
Tom was gazing at you silently but you can feel his eyes on you while you try his mum's shoes.
"Are you sure your mum doesn't mind me using her shoes?" you ask almost stumbling while searching the balance.
"My mum doesn't use them. I think that she won't even notice that you're borrowing them." he shrugs his shoulders.
You really have to say that the outfit is great. Your eyes are stuck on the mirror in front of you.
"You're... not so bad, you should do your hair like this more often" Tom tries to compliment you "Are you ready for dinner?"
"Sure!"
"Okay, we can go to my porch since it's not raining. I prepared lasagne. Hope you like it."
You open your eyes widely "I love lasagne. It's my favourite dish"
Tom looks at you while you're heading downstairs "Serious? It's also my favourite food. Like, I could eat lasagne everyday."
"Ok. Let's play "twenty questions game". Honestly, I just know that you are terribly annoying and you like lasagne."
"Well, that's a good start." He chuckles.

Two hours and a bottle of wine later you are still playing twenty questions game. You would have never imagined that you and Tom have so many things in common, and he was also fun to be around.
"Ok, so we lists between laughs.
"Who's your favourite singer?" you ask him.
He puts his hand under his chin "Uhm... Jake Bugg can definitely be my favourite singer. Do you know him?"
You just shock you head.
Tom smiled at you before looking for one of his song on his phone.
"This one is called 'Someplace'"
You were immediately caught up with the music. He has a really particular voice and you love the music on the background.
"Do you like it?"
You just nod.
"Would you like to dance?"
This time you don't reply. Tom gets up, comes to you and offers you his hand.
You are a bit tipsy and have some difficulty finding the balance so you have to held Tom's shoulder close to you.
"I can't dance" you admit.
"That's fine, darling. I took some dancing classes. I'll show you how to do." He whispered "First of all, you have to put your hands on my shoulders, I'll put mine on your waists. Then we have to sway a little without stepping on my feet"
You both chuckled.
"You know Tom, if you weren't rude to me all the time we could be great friends" you admit.
Tom smiles a bit "I have to be rude to you. It's the only way to protect myself."

"I had a very nice night, Tom. Thank you." you say in front of your house door.
Tom insisted a lot about walking you home, and at the end you had to cave in.
"Yeah me too. Not one of the best nights ever but you are funny. I think that you can survive a first date. Just... don't accept to dance if someone asks you to do it. You'll embarrass yourself."
You laugh "Ok, I promise you I won't dance again."
When you look at Tom you notice a serious expression painted on his face. You open you mouth to say something when you feel Tom's lips on your cheek.
"I never kiss a girl on the first date" and with that, Tom turns around without saying other words.