Ch. Two: Graham Waters

Graham:

 “Graham wake up, it is now 6:30.” I groan as I roll over to my side, letting the silk sheets slip down my arms. I jut my hand out, slamming down on the snooze button once more. I am greeted with the familiar robotic voice of my advanced bedside clock. “I’m sorry but you are not allowed anymore snooze presses. You have ten minutes until your meeting.”

I glare at the fancy, precocious alarm clock and curse under my breath. That was the one thing I do miss about Dauntless, the regular, press as many times as you want alarm clocks. “Look Jodi, I can get ready in five minutes, which leaves me with five more minutes of sleep.”

“You tried that last time, get up it is now 6:33.”

I shove back the covers and crawl sluggishly out, my hair a mess and my plaid boxers the only material covering my body, “Are you happy now?”

“No, get dressed,” I shuffle around my room until I come across what I believe to be a clean Geek Squad shirt and jeans. “Graham, I don’t have eyes and even I know that you aren’t dressed appropriately.”

“Stop nagging me, what are you my mother?” I scowl and rip the tee shirt and jeans from my body and throw them back onto the floor.

“Well you did program me, what was your intention?”  I grumble softly, and decide not to reply, for two reasons. One; this isn’t the first time that my alarm clock has outsmarted me. Two; I have seemed to talk to my alarm clock more than the initiates in my faction classes.

I tug on some pleated khakis, a gray colored polo, and black tennis shoes for my morning meeting attire. I snatch up a cereal bar, fill my thermos of coffee, and place them  on a tall stool to wait for me while I search for the key to my tiny apartment.

**********************

“Waters you’re late,” The gawky man with thin rimmed glasses stares up at me with beady eyes, “ Yet again.” He emphasizes his last word, while giving me a look that made me want to crawl in a hole. Unlike the ruthless and intimidating glares of the Dauntless that make me panicky, Erudite citizens give off a pretentious attitude that rips your confidence to sheds.

My pupils dilate a tad, as I search my brain for an excuse I haven’t used yet in my Erudite life. “Well, you see my alar-” I start speaking, my voice wavering, but my advisor cuts me off mid-sentence.

“I suggest you take a seat.”

I quickly grab an empty seat and bury my face into my hands as the rest of Erudite snickers at me. I spread my fingers so I can look at the gangly man at the front of the room as he starts the presentation.

Suddenly a hologram appears directly in front of me, showing a person, male, who looks oddly dressed. He wears the somber grey tunic of the Abnegation people, but yet his pants are crimson; the color of Amity, in addition to this the man has on a formal black tie, a well known accessory for the Candor people. As I look closer I also realize that the male has a Dauntless gun strapped to his waist and top secret Erudite technology in his hands.

“Now, does anyone kno-,”

“He doesn’t fit with a single faction,” I blurt out, interrupting the lumbering man.

“Mr. Waters, I don’t believe I asked you to spe-,”

“Well that’s it isn’t it? This person looks as though he belongs to every faction, even though we are only meant for one.” I blow my bangs out from my eyes and look at the man who is scowling at me.

Finally the man looks away from me and nods, “Yes, as Mr. Waters just rudely blurted out, this male doesn’t fit in a single faction the way we are meant to. This results in a very dangerous human being, a human being that has the potential to spiral the world into a universe of chaos.”