My mum and auntie Mary laughed loudly. It was a blur of sound as I stabbed a piece of cucumber with my fork. This salad tasted disgusting. My mother covered it in salad cream. I hate salad cream. "Callie eat your salad." My mum commanded, taking a break from her apparent hilarious conversation with Mary. I looked at my sister who was looking on her phone under the table, bored out of her mind probably. I ate another salad cream covered slice of cucumber. My face scrunched as I chewed it and it slid down my throat. I was temped to just shove some into my mouth then go to the toilet and spit it out! I ate another piece of lettuce. My sister watched as I gagged slightly. She chuckled. She got out her phone to film me on Snapchat. "Maisie phone away! We're out!" My mother scolded. Maisie rolled her eyes and put her phone away.

Auntie Mary looked at her watch. "Oh Alice I'm sorry I have to go. I'm picking the kids up from mum's at 4, I need to go now." Mum looked at her phone to see the time.

"Oh okay." She said. Both stood up. They hugged breifly then separated. Aunt Mary picked up her bag. "Bye girls." She smiled. She patted our heads like we were pets and left.

I looked up and there was this girl, a waitress. She must have been early 20s. Her hair was black and wavy in a half up, half down look. Her lips were slightly rouged and the foundation on her face seemed to glow. She was curvy and she was just beautiful. I must've looked stupid with my mouth partially hanging open. She walked past me completely and I had to look away before my mother noticed. "Callie if you aren't going to finish that damn salad just say!" my mother exasperated. I moved the salad around a little before putting the fork down.

"I don't want any more no." I said and pushed the plate away slightly. My mother rolled her eyes.

"Come on girls." My mother said. She picked up my bag and my sister's bag and passed them to us. We stood up and left the cafe.

My mother took us into Primark. She wanted us to try on dresses for our grandma's 75th birthday. We waded through the crowds of people to get to dresses. My mother picked out a royal blue dress for me and a burgandy dress for my sister and we headed to the changing rooms.

In the changing room, I pulled the curtain shut. A sigh overcame me. I didn't want to try this stupid dress on. I'd rather just wear some smart trousers and a shirt to grandma's birthday, she won't care. I slide the dress on. It feels alien, I never wear dresses. The spaghetti straps make my shoulders tense up immediately. It made me shiver. "Cal, are you changed yet?" My mother called.

"I hate it!" I called back with my face scrunched up. I feel a lump in my throat, I don't want to do this.

"Come on. Let me see." My mum tried to coax me out. I took a few deep breaths then yanked the curtain open. "Oh Callie it's lovely!" my mother said, a smile across her face.

"Mum I hate it, it feels disgusting." I replied. Mum rolled her eyes.

"It's just a dress honey."

"Which means if it doesn't matter then I can just wear trousers."

"No! You have to wear a dress. It's formal." Mum was getting annoyed now. I just wanted to reply with 'Wear a dress my ass' but that would never end well. I only tutted and walked back into the cubicle. I took the dress off and put back on my jeans, t shirt and leather jacket.

"It fits. I said with a blank expression and passed the dress to my mother. She smiled and nodded and the three of us went to the till to buy the two dresses. "You know Callie." My mum started. "I think I know the reason you don't like dresses."

"Hmm, go on then." I said, curious to her answer.

"It's that friend of yours, you know the girl that thinks she's a boy. She has a bad influence on you." Mum sounded angry. I couldn't say anything to change her mind. I was so hurt that she would say this, I only managed to slip out a few words,

"He is called Mason."