Chapter 6

After the other four girls were chosen, Cinderella and all the other fifteen contestants followed the host into a small theater with a stage. Patricia was still upset about the outcome of her Poké Puffs as she sat down. Cinderella, Katelyn, Bianca, and the two other remaining girls came forward as the host addressed them.

"This is the fourth round, ladies." said the Host, "This is the freestyle performance. One by one, the final five contestants and their Pokémon will perform on stage in front of an audience. You can do whatever you want within a time limit of twelve minutes. Normally, the winner of this round would compete with last year's champion in the final round, but since Duchess Ella Livingston is not here this year, whoever wins today shall become the new champion. We expect you and your Pokémon to put on a great show. You all have fifteen minutes to get ready. Good luck to all of you."

***********************************************************************

Cinderella and her Pokémon all went back to their room. When they got there, they were met by the stepmother who was furious.

Cinderella smiled at her. "Hello. May I help you, Madam?"

The stepmother glared at the mysterious girl. "My daughter should have moved onto the finals! You are responsible for my daughter's disqualification!"

"Who? Patricia?" said Cinderella, "She was just trying her best. I think she did a great job to get as far as she did, don't you?"

The stepmother did not like this answer.

"Almost there is not good enough!" she snapped, "I demand that you step down and let her compete in the last round!"

"I'm afraid we can't do that, Madam." said Valiant plainly, "That wouldn't be fair to both my mistress and your daughter. We worked hard to get to this far and it's not ours or our mistress's fault regarding your daughter's loss. That's simply how the judges saw it."

"I don't care about what they think!" shouted the stepmother, "You better let her perform or I'll-!"

"What's going on here?" bellowed a voice.

Everyone jumped and turned to see the Archduke and Duke Grovyle walking down the hallway. The stepmother quickly bowed her head and smiled at the two of them, trying to feint innosence. The Archduke and Duke Grovyle saw through her.

"You again?" said the Archduke, "Are you bothering my daughter?"

The stepmother turned pale. "Y-Y-Your daughter?"

"Yes, Madam," said the Archduke, "She is my daughter."

Cinderella and her Pokémon were surprised by this. They couldn't believe what they were hearing. The Archduke telling a downright lie to a duchess? However, they could see that the Archduke was helping them out, so they played along.

"It's true, Madam," said Valiant.

Then the Archduke said, "If you have a problem with the judges' decision, Duchess, then why aren't you complaining to them?"

The stepmother didn't answer his question.

Instead, she stammered, "I, uh... I-I was just leaving."

And she quickly walked away. As soon as she was out of sight and earshot, Cinderella gave the Archduke a grateful look.

"Thank you, Your Grace," she said.

"No need to thank me, Ella." said the Archduke, "It was my pleasure."

Cinderella and her Pokémon jumped, their hearts skipping.