The way out of the labyrinth

Five years. It's been five years since Pete lost his job. He gave that job all his life, and what did he get in return? A great spot in the unemployment line that's what.
Now he drinks day and night. On good days he only throws up on the lawn but on the bad days, he curses the universe and of course, loses his phone.
Every night's the same.
I hear him stumbling drunk up the stairs and in a few minutes he'd be in bed next to me. After 3 minutes my prediction is proven.
I'm the good wife, the perfect wife. Even as I take off his shoes and cover him up with his favourite fleece, the foul stench of cheap liquor and damp socks find my nose. I  bite down on my bottom lip to suppress any forming tears.
This time I can't sleep, and I'm looking at Pete. I wonder where it went all wrong.

The star crossed love of my life is now deadbeat worn out alcoholic and I let it happen. I just stood and let Pete drink his life away, I did nothing to stop him. 
This was all my fault and I have to fix it. The thought leaves  as fast as it came until death do us part.

Our vows. Our wedding vows were the answer.  The only way out of this labyrinth of suffering is through death. I'm Catholic, which means I'm not really big on the whole 'divorce thing' and I wouldn't want Jeremy to be separated from his parents in that way.  Not like that... until death do us part.  I have to do it.

Pete seems happier,  almost like he knows what's coming. This is probably the last time I get to see him this happy. I'll miss him more than he'll probably miss me.
I sent Jeremy out  for a sleep over at my sister's house, he's only ten. It's not right to let him watch one of his parents die.

...In sickness, and in health, until death do us part. Even as I prepare his favourite meal, the vows echo in my head like a siren only I can hear.
I hope he gets to enjoy this meal, it will be his last after all.