Chapter 3: You Haven't Changed

"Yes, can I help you?" Jongin's familiar voice had an unfamiliar air of uneasiness.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath. His hands were trembling, so he shoved them into his coat pockets.

"I need to speak to you about the murders that happened at Geumgok High School seven years ago." He said.

There was a long silence and then the monitor clicked off. Kyungsoo only had to stand there for a moment before the door was pulled open. The two men looked at each other. All the endless bad memories they had together bubbling up to the surface. Jongin furrowed his brow. Kyungsoo broke their tense eye contact. He opened his mouth to speak. Jongin slammed the door closed. Kyungsoo flinched a little at the sudden loud noise, taking a moment to process it. He pulled his hands out of his pockets, cursing under his breath. Kyungsoo had never been a very aggressive person, but not talking to Jongin was not an option.

"Jongin, you have to talk with me," He called out.

The monitor clicked back on.

"I'm sorry, I have a class," Jongin barely hid his irritation beneath a thin tone of being apologetic.

"No, you don't," Kyungsoo quickly countered. "I looked on your website, your next class isn't for another two hours."

There was a slight pause before Jongin answered.

"Leave. Now," All pretenses in his tone were gone.

"Jongin, you can't seriously believe I did it," Kyungsoo said, a hint of desperation being to creep into his voice.

"It doesn't matter what I believe," Jongin said. "It's over. That all happened in the past. Leave now or I'm calling the police."

The threat froze Kyungsoo. But he pushed the sickening feeling growing in his stomach out of his mind to make one final effort.

"Maybe it's in your past. But that day has been my reality for the past seven years. I can't leave that moment. I can't forget. Please, Jongin..." Kyungsoo begged.

"I will call the police," There was no hesitation or conflict in his voice.

Kyungsoo's heart sank. He stepped off the step unable to muster any kind of response. As he walked down the road, he put his head in his hands. An immediate failure. He was angry. At Jongin or, more likely, himself. He ran his hand through his hair, wondering what to do. He raised his head and looked around him, suddenly realizing he didn't know where he was. He didn't have a phone or anyone to call. And the idea of asking someone for directions was none too appealing.

Kyungsoo gazed around at the pointless street signs surrounding him and the nameless people walking past him. He wasn't scared. He was just trapped in the hollow feeling of another defeat. Then his eyes lingered on a street name that was meaningful. He knew that name. Where had he seen it? Kyungsoo pulled his notebook out of his pocket and flipped through the pages, at last landing on an address. A spark of hope fluttered in his heart.

Kyungsoo jogged down the street and up to one of the many apartment buildings. And then slowly he approached the door. He stepped inside the first set of doors. Up and down the rows and rows of buttons and room numbers he searched. Finally finding the correct one, he reached out to press it. Kyungsoo paused for a moment, letting out the air he had been unconsciously holding. He was more confident in this person, but still, he had wanted to avoid going to them first. Kyungsoo pressed the button.

"Hello?" The voice that echoed out from the monitor was so familiar it sent chills down Kyungsoo's spine.

"Chanyeol?" He asked.