Chapter 15: Break Down

They just wouldn't leave him alone. Kyungsoo sprinted down the street, clutching his phone in his hand. Sehun and Jongdae were waiting for him. He'd slept for far too long. And time had a way of chugging forward whether you were aware of it or not. Time was the once force one could count on never stop moving. In some ways, this brought Kyungsoo comfort; no painful moment could last forever, no matter how long it seemed to last, it had to end. But in many more ways it only served to irritate him; time was always slipping through his hands. No happy moment could last forever.

As Kyungsoo neared the convenience store, he slowed down his pace, even taking a moment to steady his breathing. When Sehun and Jongdae saw him approaching they stood up from the plastic seats they'd been sitting in. Apparently, outside an old convenience store was the perfect meeting place to discuss important things to them. Sehun smiled at Kyungsoo so fondly it almost seemed as if he had missed him. Jongdae, on the other hand, had a very determined look on his face. It didn't suit him.

"Sorry for being late," Kyungsoo said, coming to a stop in front of the table.

"It's alright," Sehun said, sitting back down alongside the other two.

"You know why we asked you to come here, right?" Jongdae leaned on the table.

Kyungsoo sighed and looked away from him. "You want to know what I know."

They both nodded, watching him expectantly. Kyungsoo almost stood up and left right then and there. He knew it was unreasonable, but he hated the idea of sharing any information with them. He would have to trust them, if only a little. Let them in, if only a little. Every alarm bell built within himself was going off, it was utterly deafening. He closed his eyes and tried to make them stop. If he was to proceed with any certainty of success, he needed to share just a little.

"I've interviewed everyone who was there that day," Kyungsoo finally spoke.

"What did they say?" Sehun asked.

Kyungsoo pulled a photo out of his pocket and pointed to one of the faces. "Kim Jongin, he fell asleep in the bathroom after crying for a while."

"Why was he crying?" Jongdae asked.

Kyungsoo shrugged. "The gunshots woke him up. He ran into Baekhyun at the top of the stairs as he left." He pointed to another face. "Byun Baekhyun, he had left the school, but he returned to apologize to me-"

"Apologize to you? For what?" Jongdae asked.

"Jongdae, stop interrupting," Sehun said, obviously invested in what Kyungsoo was saying.

"He ran into Jongin at the top of the stairs and then went to investigate. He saw me running away the gun. He saw th-them lying on the..." Kyungsoo cleared his throat. "He ran out and called the police." He pointed to another boy. "Kim Minseok, he met up with two boys behind the school to discuss a robbery."

Sehun glanced at his brother with wide eyes. Jongdae seemed to see it as no surprise.

"When they heard the gunshots they all panicked and ran. Minseok saw me then went around to the front to investigate. He told the police he thought I was the killer. Zhang Yixing, he was doodling in his notebook after school. He took a walk to clear his head and heard the gunshots. He saw Baekhyun and Jongin run into each other. After seeing Baekhyun run away in fear, he followed him. Park Chanyeol, he stayed at school after a meeting with a teacher to search for his lost hat. He ran out of the building as soon as he heard the first shots. Kim Junmyeon, he walked through the school looking to evacuate students and teachers. He couldn't find anyone, so he left."

At the mere mention of their father's name, the atmosphere changed. Sehun grimaced and looked thoroughly displeased that his father was even being included on the list. Jongdae leaned forward, hanging on Kyungsoo's every word as if they no doubt held the key. Kyungsoo paused for a moment and the two of them sat back as if they considered the conversation over. But the list was incomplete. Kyungsoo continued.

"Kim Sehun and Kim Jongdae," Sehun and Jongdae glanced at each other. "They were walking through the halls together when they heard the shots. They rushed to their father's office first. But when they couldn't find him they left."

"Why did you include us?" Sehun asked. "We know what we told you."

Kyungsoo didn't answer. But Jongdae seemed to understand the message perfectly. His solemn and determined expression only deepened. Sehun looked between the two of them. Realizing he wasn't getting an answer, he looked down at the photo. He pursed his lips.

"Are you sure that's everyone?" He asked, not looking up from the photo.

Kyungsoo tilted his head and furrowed his eyebrows. Jongdae once again took something from what was said that one of them missed. He looked aggravated by what Sehun said.

"Sehun, you know no one else was there." Jongdae said, through almost gritted teeth.

"Oh, sorry." Sehun looked at his brother, then the ground. "It was a stupid question."

He practically mumbled the last part. Kyungsoo looked between the two of them for a moment before sighing. The two of them took this as a sign that he had given them all the information he was going to.

"How do you want to proceed from here?" Jongdae asked.

"Well, I-" Kyungsoo stopped himself.

He didn't really know where to go now. How does one find evidence for such a cold case? Jongdae sat up straight, apparently brimming with the answers for that questions.

"We should interview family and friends," Jongdae said.

"'We'?" Kyungsoo quirked an eyebrow.

"Yeah, 'we'," Sehun said, indignantly.

"Do you know how to reach their friends and family?" Kyungsoo asked.

Jongdae smiled. He picked a folder up from beside him and placed it on the table in front of Kyungsoo. His expression had changed, for the first time that day, to a smug one. He was obviously proud of the work that had gone into finding this information. But Kyungsoo had little interest in how he had gotten it. After all, Jongdae had "ways of finding information" that Kyungsoo didn't know. Kyungsoo picked the folder up.

"We should go as soon as possible then," Kyungsoo said. "Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow is a bit..." Sehun scratched the back of his neck. "The day after that maybe?"

"Alright," Kyungsoo stood up. "I'll contact you about the details."

"Oh, wait!" Sehun reached out his hand. "Can I ask you one more thing?"

"What?" Kyungsoo was a little taken aback.

"That photo," Sehun pointed at the photo still lying on the table. "Isn't it the one I found at the school? Why did you keep it?"

Kyungsoo heart dipped a little as he looked at the photo. He scooped it up from the table. He looked at the two of them for a moment, giving a little parting bow before turning away. He walked a little slower than he intended. At some point his feet just stopped moving. He didn't look behind him. He was unsure if he was out of their earshot or not, but he didn't care.

"I miss them."