Chapter Three

They say time flies when having fun, that was the past. Time goes slow when there's nothing to do, that's the present. I try to start conversations but they never stick around as the ones did with my parents, but there gone now, ashes. They died before all of this.
     I look at Maxwell, he is shivering. I grasp him and secure him in my thick hoodie. I can tell he likes my body warmth.
     As we stroll along the road, Rose tugs on my Hoodie. "Do you have any games we could play?" She asked in a frozen voice.
"Sure, umm." I have to think of one really quick, hmmm. I've got It!
"I have one, it's called the 'get to 20' game. You have to go in order by taking turns either choosing to say one number or two numbers. Who ever gets to 20 first, wins." I say in a delightful way. "I'll go first! 1,2"
"3" she said in a confuse voice, I gave her a nod saying she is doing good.
"4,5"
"6,7"
"You know I'm going to win." I said in a playful tone. We both giggle, then  says, "8".
"9". We keep going on in till I win. She starts to get competitive and says "Let's play one more tim-"
"No" Daniel said very harsh and bitterly. I roll my eyes.
     My hands began to num as we get closer to our destinatin. By now, we're walking on snow. It stopped snowing hours ago but it still sticking to the ground.
The hospital is up ahead and we are about to be inside of the doors. As we inter, I take Maxwell out of my hoodie. The warmth of the hospital was just right for the harsh weather outside.
     The power is out but everything is still visable. I could hear somebody talking, but the group I'm with stayed as silent as a stone.
     We took the stairs up to the 8th floor, that's where the sound is being heard. As we get closer, I can hear the noise louder than ever.
     "I can't do this! I can't!" The voice said in a frantic tone. It was a woman with a rigged voice.
"It's going to be ok, Gram. Look at me! You're going to be fine!" A young girl said soft to hard. "Let me get you some more water." She said soft again.
     We all can hear her steps walking closer to the door where we stand. She had this fright look on her face when she saw us. She pulled out her gun within a split second. I freeze with my eyes shut tight. Don't shoot! Dont shoot!
     I hear something break, I think it was glass. I keep my eyes shut so I don't get scared of what's in front of me. Then I hear a gun shot, multiple. I'm scared out of my mind. Travis is calling my name but I'm paralyzed. Someone grabs my shirt, it's small fingers. Now Rose is calling my name. I get out of the shock and move quickly, my eyes are still shut hard. I'm stumbling over steps and I finally feel the chill of outside hit my warm face.
     Maxwell! I think. I open my eyes just to find Maxwell nowhere to be seen. I run to the hospital without any thoughts. It's a good thing I closed my eye in there so I'm not scared to go back for Maxwell. I hear something screeching, then hear the young girl call me. Asking me to come back. I think she is running after me as I run up the stairs.
     I see him on the top of the stairs. I forgot he can't go down steps! My foot hits the last step to grab him. I can see the creature who corrupted my town. Then I see the old woman in the room. Dead. Scratches on her neck to back, ripping her shirt. I see the fresh blood goozing from her back. The rips looked like a number one carved into her wriklely back.
     The young girl is now behind me and she sees the old woman. A tear sheds from her eyes. "Let's go!" She says yanking my arm. We escape before the creature can snatch us up. The young girl blocks the creature by grabing two chairs and covering the way out.
"That thing will be stuck in there for a while, we have some time to run!" She shouts to everyone when we get out of the place.
"My name is Faith! Yours?" She shouts as we run.
"Why ask me now? We are about to die!" I shout back. She then laughs.
     "Let's hide here!" We all turn to a forest. It looked a lot like the place behind the police station but here is covered by millions of trees. The place was beautiful. Sadly, the water is thick ice.
     We slow down by a rock bigger than all of us. We all sit there in silence. The first to speak was Faith.
"I wanted to know your name before we all died." She said laughing again.
"What are you talking about? And why do you keep laughing?"
I say in a serious voice.
"You asked why I wanted to know your name when we were running." She said. "I was laughing because I've never felt so alive!"
"Brooklynn, call me Brooke." I say as I fold my hands together and put them on my head. I'm so overwhelmed about what just happened. What even happened? I think.
     "Who was the person you were with?" I asked. Her face turn glummy when I asked. I feel guilty now.
     "She was my grandma, she had cancer anyway, she wouldn't have survived." She says with a melancholy voice.
     I could hear Daneil and Travis talking about something, like usual.
     "Alright ladies, we have a plan." Travis says.
"Don't you see what happened the last time you two made a plan?" I say bitterly.
     "Yes, but this one is different." He responds. "We found this!" He holds up a small book with mysterious writing on the cover.