Part Seven

I know the world's a broken bone

But melt your headaches, call it home

~"Northern Downpour", Panic! at the Disco

FIVE YEARS LATER

I have a routine.

Every night, after I get my daughter ready for bed, I lie in her bed, snuggled next to her. I tell her of us. I tell her of how we met, our first kiss, how you propose. I tell her tales of how we loved, but I never tell her about the end.

This is how I end: I tell her that she must treasure the loved ones in her life.

The thing is, It could have been anything. Car crashes, gunshots, electrocution. The end result is always the same: you lose someone far too soon.

Out there are thousands of other people who have experienced the same pain. Some of them choose to go on. Some of them don't.

My question is, why do we only regret after they're gone? Regret that you weren't more loving. Regret that you didn't spend more time with them.

Don't regret. Instead of wallowing in your loss, look up and realise that there are many other people, still alive and breathing, that you can give your love to. They are there in the here and now. Do not make the same mistake twice.

This is the lesson I teach my daughter, in the dark of night, in quiet but clear whispers. She listens, and she understands.

So what I'm saying is, take action now. So many people in your life you love and who love, and they could be gone in an instant. Treasure them, appreciate them now. Because It could come anywhere, anytime. Hold on to them tight, and don't let go.

Are you?

I know I am.