Chapter One

Forcing the memories to the back of my mind, I lug two duffel bags on my shoulders, a guitar case slung across my back, and a guitar amp in my hand, refusing to look over at the lanky, emotionless figure at my side. It doesn't take much for me to begin making my way towards the dorms, wanting to get the moving done and over with.

The whole campus is old looking, the old red brick buildings and large wooden doors, but, somehow, modern. You can see the advance technology placed around the grounds, whether it's the impressive statues or the security cameras watching over.

I shove open the door the dorms with little effort, cringing slightly at the sound it's made across the marble floor.

A whistle exits my mouth as I glance around the main hall of the dorm, catching the attention of a few other students and the person at the front desk. Ignoring the glances, I saunter to the front desk.

"Hi, how may I help you?" asks a guy, who looks more like a girl in my opinion, but I'm no one to judge.

"Hey, I need to find my room, which means I'll probably need a key," I respond, offering my usual blank face.

All I received as a nod before he turned to the computer on his left, "I'll need a name."

"Killua,"

"I'm assuming I don't need a last name then," he chuckles to himself, before typing some stuff and clicking with my mouse. I can't help but notice the slight smile that paints his face while he grabs a pair of keys and hands them to me.

Glancing at him for a quick second, I take the keys, eyes never leaving him. Returning my stare, he offered something like a sympathetic smile, "Your room is room 504. Once you get there, on the counter there will be a list of all the rules, along with a map of campus and a small care package. Also, if you need anything, just ask for me seeing as I am the dorm manager, my name is Kurapika Kurta. Welcome to Hunter University."

I walk away, trying to distinguish what the look he gave me meant, almost forgetting that Illumi was standing beside me.

"What's wrong, Kilu? You seem troubled. You know, you can always bail out and join the other universities that mother and father have lined up for you," Illumi stated, his emotionless voice reaching my ears, causing me to shiver.

Without bothering to look at him, I began to climb the stairs to the fifth floor. "I'm fine, just thinking."

I hear a hum come from Illumi, whose carrying two more of my duffel bags, which aren't nearly as full as they look. "I suppose anyone would be nervous about their first day at such a revered school. I did expect you to attend it, I just never thought it'd be for music courses," Illumi basically spits out the last part, but I continue to trudge on, wanting to get him out of here as soon as possible.

"I have to say that we were all quite shocked to hear that you actually had an interest in such things, Kilu. We knew you were in the school band and were quite good, but never knew you'd get accepted into this school for something like that. BUt, I suppose, we can't help it..."

Illumi was rambling, well, in his way. It was more like he thought the more he talked, the more chance he'd have of getting me to quit. That's how it used to work, but not anymore. I just took a deep breath and tuned out before rounding the corner to tackle the next flight, which would be the the last flight I needed to climb.

I could hear some voices, probably from the other students who were moving in as well, getting louder, much like it had done on the other floors, but this time there was one distinct voice I could here. It was loud, really cheerful, and had a weird mix between a bass and tenor sound, more on the bass side then anything. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, feeling bad for whoever would get that guy for their roommate.