Chapter 4

It was eleven and the dinner meeting was still going, everyone was having fun except me. I sat there at the table as Nick was continuing a converstation from hours before and Harry was dancing with Taylor and Selena, but for me, I was bored out of my mind watching everyone I know doing something. My phone buzzed, indictating a got a message. The person was unknown but the message was clear, they wanted me to be gone from having a clan.

"Nick, can we go?" I ask, tugging on his arm. "Sure." He in a deep conversation with his brother joe about their way of staying on track. Nick hugs his brother goodbye before grabbing my hand and walking away with me. We make our way pass everyone on the dance floor but nick pulls my arm back. "Why are we stopping?" I ask in confusion as he slides his arms around my waist, tilting his head towards me. He soft lips press mine as I feel people watching us from the dance floor. We pull our heads apart and take a breath. I look over in the direction that the people were watching to see that it was Harry and Selena. Harry had a pained expression fall on his face and as Selena looked over in doubt. We made contact for a spilt second before she walked away, but I knew she felt the great pain inside of me.

-

The ride home was absolutely silent as I was worrying about everything else in the world. "You know that Harry will keep coming around the place till you finally give him what he wants." "I know Nick. Harry is just a pawn from Taylor to keep us worrying about everything. He said himself that Taylor wanted the files of every clan member and my notebook of personal information." I say with a shrug of my shoulders. Nick pulls into the driveway, parking the car immediately. "You mean that you didn't care to tell me ANY of this? He could of rummaged through everything when we weren't looking. He could of taken the information from us-" "But he didn't! Every file for everyone is there. I checked.....I know he wouldn't steal from us." My voice went to a whisper. I looked at Nick seeing the seriousness on his face. "I won't let him over again. Ever...." I say ashamed.

He gets out of the car and walks into the building. "What have I done?" Leaning my head back onto the head rest. A knock on the window makes me jump. I see Harry standing there. "What do you want?" I ask, stepping out of the car. "I need a place to stay for a couple of days. I'm not aloud to stay at Taylor's. She's mad at me for something I did." He stares at the ground avoiding eye contact with me. "Look me in the eyes and tell me why you are here. I want to know that you won't steal anything from here. Because if you do, you know that means war with your clan." He looks up at me, revealing his eye.

It was bruised and swollen, probably from a punch thrown by one of his clan members. "What happened to your eye?" I whisper, gently brushing my thumb over it. He winces and pulls away. "I needed to get away from there. I need a better place to live." He says, pulling his hood over his face again. Guilt fills me as I bite my nail, contemplating if I should take him in or not.

"You can stay but it will be in my room." I state before hearing the doors open. Pushing him down into the bushes, I turn around to see who it is. "Hey, Demi! I was looking for you. It's about important matters." Josh says, running towards me. He slows down before reaching the car and I yell out, "Stop!".

A confused look appears on his face as I look around. "Can you keep a secret?" I whisper, leaning towards him. "Yes." "You swear on your life that you will never tell this to anyone? And that if it does slip out you will never tell anyone what happened here tonight?" I stare him dead in his eyes and can see the fear rising. "Y-yes." He stutters. "Good." I look over my shoulder to the bush Harry was in.

"I need you to sneak Harry into my room without anyone seeing. You can do that, right?" He takes a gulp of air before nodding. I make eye contact with Harry and nod, making him feel safer. "If you know a secret way to hide him, then do so..... Just don't let anyone see. Now go."

Josh runs off with Harry trailing behind him. I wait a minute or two before heading in and going to the dinning hall to deal with the business.

-----

"What do I have now? Come home from a stressful night to deal with work." I slam the door shut as Tyler hands me my baggy, pajama shirt and shorts. I take my place at the head of the table and wait. Tyler then places a file in front of me; it has Selena's name written on the side. "Why are you handing me this file? She left the clan for another and stated she was dead."

I toss it aside only to have Tyler place it back on the table and opens it to the first page, pointing at the center of the page. It read 'She is a person who keeps secrets well. You need to pry it out of her. She is not to be trusted around other groups.'

I look up at the others, seeing their unpleased faces. "You knew she would flake away from the group. Why didn't you get rid of her when you knew?" I felt the guiltiness building in me. "Maybe it's because I thought she could be trusted."