Resoultion

They were close during the countdown. Neither of them said anything as the rest of the voices of the party echoed the numbers. They were silent.

She didn't know what to feel. Elation at the new year? Joy that he was here with her?

It had been such a long year. Maybe the next would be better? Maybe this time he was telling the truth, and this time, it would work out.

She wanted to be optimistic. She wanted to think that he was right, and this year would be better.

Yet he'd let her down too many times, she couldn't trust him anymore.

She didn't know what to feel.

She didn't think she was supposed to feel scared. As though something bad was going to happen.

"Are you ready?" He asked her, softly.

She stared into the eyes she used to love and tried to conjure an answer. It seemed that the seconds stretched on forever, the countdown lingering on each number like no one wanted to let go of the year, or the past.

She heard two reach her ears and she opened her mouth. At one, she whispered a single word.

"No."

Yet as the new year spread through them all, his lips came down on hers, and she didn't have the chance to push him away.

Fear gripped her sides. All of a sudden, she knew what she felt.

She felt scared. As though something bad was about to happen.

It was then that the room behind him exploded.