Chapter Thirteen

Kay didn't get out of be the next day.

She had a temperature, sick from standing in the rain so long the day before.

Pete told her they'd wait, and see if it wore off, before they called a doctor.

It didn't. It just seemed to get worse, so she lay in bed, tossing and turning, feeling absolutely miserable.

She tried to call Quincey, but couldn't bring up the courage. So she tried to text him, but couldn't find the words.

So she didn't, feeling guilty for not doing so.

She slept, mostly. When she wasn't sleeping, she stared out the window, or tried to sleep. It wasn't pleasant. She felt like she was trapped inside an oven sometimes, and others, she was enclosed in a freezer.

The next day, she was still sick, and she didn't seem to be getting any better. Pete still told her that he was sure it wouldn't last, and to just wait a little longer.

That night, it got worse. She started seeing things. Her mother, sitting beside her bed, stroking her hair. At midnight she started screaming, because she had seen James playing in her closet, like he sometimes used to do, then she'd looked away and he was gone. She was crying hysterically because she didn't want him to go.

Her temperature was raging, and she was breaking out in sweats, and gasping at the air around her.

So finally Pete gave in, and called for a home doctor service.

The doctor prescribed some drugs, gave Pete a list of things to do for her, to help her, and told them that if it got any worse, call emergency immediately. Kay only got half of it because of her delusional mind, but Pete took notes on what he said.

Drugged up, Kay finally fell asleep again, and her temperature began to drop back to normal as she slept.

She dreamt of the waves, flowing over her, and she was bobbing up and down.

Then the water around her seemed to disappear and she was falling.

She screamed in terror, and she saw sharp rocks rising towards her as she fell.

But then the rocks transformed, to her mother, holding open her arms in a soothing embrace. Her mother caught her, and clutched her strongly.

"I love you, Brooke. I'm never letting you go again."

It was then that Kay started to cry, because she knew it was a dream. Her mother was gone. She was alone.

She woke up to sun shining on her face. The warm rays falling through her window and over her bedspread. The sky was clear of the rain clouds that had hung over it yesterday, and the day before, and she could smell pancakes wafting from the kitchen.

It was a far-too familiar scene, but she ignored the ache in her chest and rose from bed.

She felt incredibly weak, and had a lingering sore throat, but also felt much better than she had a couple of hours ago. It seemed as though the drugs the doctor had given her were working, because she could see and think clearly, and only had a slight headache.

She shuffled across her soft white carpet to her wardrobe, where she grabbed a fluffy robe, wrapped it around her shoulders, and slipped on a pair of slippers. Rugged up, she trudged out of the room, feeling hungry. She hadn't been eating more than chicken soup while she had been sick, because she hadn't had the strength, and she was starving now. So, she headed in the direction of the wafting smell of pancakes.