Chapter 3- LUCIFER

Amenadiel stares at me like I've gone mad.
"What?"
I sigh and put my head in my hands with growing anxiety for my wife.
"For goodness sake, brother, Chloe is gone and I think I know who has her!"
He nods slowly, taking in my words with an expression of thoughtfulness and suspicion mixed together.
"And you're sure she hasn't just... I don't know... gone for a drive out of town?" He asks, rubbing his chin in hidden amusement.

I growl in frustration.
"Don't help me then! I thought I could count on you!" I shouted loudly, turning around to storm out of the door; before it opened and revealed my daughter, distraught and confused.
My face softens, overwhelming relief taking over my body as I embrace Alaana tightly.

I feel my chest turning wet, uncomfortably wet, and look down to see my daughter, my strong minded, stubborn daughter, crying softly onto me. My airway tightens as I turn to glare at Amenadiel. He returns a look of sympathy, his stupid thoughts probably assuming that Alaana is simply having a teenage breakdown. I bury my face into her hair, like I had done earlier in the day,hugging her harder than anticipated.  Finally, she looks up, eyes red and puffy, face wet and blotchy. But still just as beautiful as her mother. Her breathing is quick, as though she had run a marathon,hiccuping and still teary eyed.

"M-Maze is..." She breaks down again, and I watch her with concern as Amenadiel brings her a chair, placing it behind her. She collapses into it, her body drooping with relief.
"Alaana, what happened?" I ask gently, realising what a delicate state she is in. She takes a deep breath and tells me the words I had been dreading.
"She... someone hurt Maze... I don't know how... Or why... and I can't find mom anywhere.. Dad, whats happening?!"

Amenadiel shifts his feet uncomfortably, giving off the same expression to my daughter as I am feeling, though I can hide it better than he ever has been able to.
"I knew something was going on..." I mutter to myself, but to my distress Alaana hears me loud and clear. Her eyes widen, panic spreading quickly on her face.
"Dad...?"
I stand up before anyone can interrogate me about Chloe, making my way over to the kitchen in hopes of finding something to do other than pretend to be calm in front of my daughter.

The minute I reach the kitchen, I slide to the floor, clutching my knees and leaning against the wall. It becomes harder to breathe the more I think about Chtloe, lost or hurt or maybe even...
No. She isn't dead. If this is who I believe it is, they will not have killed her yet. She is too valuable to kill just yet. I take a deep breath. If I am right, we don't have much time to save her; and Alaana needs to grow up with her mother, because I am much too terrible a father to bring her up myself.

Closing my eyes, I turn my head upwards and pray- well, in my terms.
"Dad, look, I know you're up there, and you and I both know who has Chloe. Please, please give us more time. I need more time. You know full well how important she is. She is my world, she is Alaana's world, and whatever part you're playing in this scandal, stop. The humans here make you out to be some kind of hero, but if you could do this to a helpless human being, you are nothing but a horrible, horrible piece of crap." I swallow and open my eyes, my hands still wrapped tightly around my knees, giving me pins and needles.

Shakily, I stand up, feeling the oncoming head rush and grabbing the counter beside me. I have only been out here for a few minutes, but I quickly search for an excuse as to what I had been doing; especially with no noise to have been heard from me.

I stroll back to Amenadiel and my daughter, bracing myself for the news that I now have to give to them both.

Their faces look horrified after I give them a briefing of what is going to happen. Amenadiel just looks he same as he usually does when things like this happen; giving me the look of "God would never do that!" Or "God would never let that happen!", but all Alaana's face portrays is shock and fear. Real, genuine fear, something I can relate to about this entire situation.

The last words I had uttered to my wife, my soulmate, my better half (literally) was "If this isn't what you want, go find some other mortal that can give you something I obviously can't!"
What an idiot.

Alaana is the first to make a move. She stands quickly, a look of determination on her face. Of course, I haven't told her the entire story. Amenadiel knows from our past and my facial expression who I am really talking about, where I am really talking about, and Alaana doesn't need to know that just yet. Not until she needs to.

I was the only one who had noticed the flames in the pool, and of that I am unbelievably glad. Alaana still believes she is normal; we agreed not to tell her about her devil powers because, for obvious reasons, she would freak and never speak to me, the devil, again.

Or at least, former devil. I retired from the position when Alaana was born, but she still had my blood, and she still has the rights to her power, whether she wants it or not. Only God can get rid of them, and apparently he chose not to. Unfortunate for Chloe, who had wished for an ordinary family.
At this moment, I wish the same. She wouldn't be in this mess- none of them would- if it weren't for me.

I take a deep breath and look up to my daughter and brother, both ready for what is ahead; or both thinking they are ready, anyway.
"I hope you're right..." Amenadiel mutters as we open the door, on our way to search for my missing wife.