Chapter 16

"I have wonderful news!" I exclaimed walking into Joanne's hospital room.

"You and Sherlock are officially dating?"

"Well, that too," Yeah, it's been two days and he was determined to fulfill my three date rule.

"Ok, what is it?"

"You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!"

"You read The Fault in Our Stars again, didn't you?"

"And I'm proud of it!" I laughed, sitting down on the bed next to her.

"What is it with you and fandoms?" asked John.

"That, my dear Watson, is a question that has an answer that yet doesn't, seems to have meaning to some but to others it's words that just come and go like they meant nothing leaving with the wind."

"Oh for heavens sake! You're not Augustus Waters!" Joanne exclaimed.

"So, how are you?"

"Terrible. Remind me why I can't just grab the crutches and run?"

"'Cause you suck at using crutches and again, leg was shot, therefore not strong enough for crutches yet." I replied. Sherlock chuckled. I simply stuck my tongue out not caring how much I was acting like a child.

"Yet, how did you get out of here?"

"Well, once again, my main injury wasn't a gunshot to the leg."

"Yes, it was several blows to the head and lower abdomen, torn tissue on the back, along with signs of rape." We all turned in shock to see the one, the only, the biggest jackass you will ever meet, Mycroft Holmes.

"What do you mean, rape?" Sherlock was shaking with anger, John looked like he was gonna punch Mycroft, and I thought Joanne was gonna pass out.

"Honestly brother, you didn't know? I'd thought you'd have read her medical files."

"And what gives YOU the right to do so?" I asked standing up.

"Sarah, I heard you were in the hospital and was generally concerned about your condition."

"Then why didn't you come and see me yourself!?!? Oh right, forgot who I was talking to, Mycroft Holmes, the man with to he biggest ego in London!" I yelled. Yeah, I was mad. The door slammed as Sherlock left the room, why was he so mad?

"Sarah I-"

"Shut it Mycroft, haven't you done enough?" I left the room.

Sherlock stood in the hospital parking lot pacing back and forth. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong!?!? I don't know, you tell me!" I shrugged. "I give up." He stopped pacing.

"What's wrong is the fact that my girlfriend has been raped, and she didn't have the decency to tell me!"

"We weren't dating at the time."

"Doesn't matter, you should have told me! Or at least Joanne!"

"I didn't want you guys to worry."

"Well, not letting us go with you to the doctor when he wanted to see how you were recovering or not telling us what he said really helped us not to worry!" he yelled. I turned away. God, I never wanted them to know. I closed my eyes trying to push the memories that this all brought back away. I heard him sigh and walk over to me. I turned to see him looking down at me. "I just want you to be safe."

"Sherlock, it's not like you can protect me from the whole world!"

"Well, I can bloody damn try." I laughed. He pulled me into a hug.

"You know, this isn't normal for you."

"What isn't?"

"Showing feelings, showing that you actually care." He chuckled.

"You've made me a changed man Sarah Harvey."

"Not entirely sure how I feel about that though." I laughed. He sighed, of course he was still upset.

"You'll tell me if something is wrong right? You don't have to go through it alone, I mean, you have Joanne and John and, well, me. Not sure-" I cut him off by pressing my lips against his. He stood there frozen for a moment but eventually began to kiss back. I don't care how cheesy I sound, that kiss was bloody perfect. We pulled away resting our foreheads against each other's, "What was that for?"

"To get you to shut up." He laughed.

~Joanne's POV~

How could she not tell me this? My best friend. No wonder she seems different, I mean, being kidnapped and tortured always changes a person but Sarah had been through it all before, she was strong. This time though, she seemed more cautious, on edge. The door opened and Sarah and Sherlock walked in.

"Guys, can you give us a minute?" The boys nodded and left. Sarah sat in the chair beside the bed and sighed. "Is that why you had the nightmares?" I asked. Since she had been rescued, sometimes, in the middle of the night she'd start screaming in her sleep and wake up crying. She would push me out of the room. I was hurt a bit but I knew why she did. She hated people seeing her like that, broken and torn. She nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I- I just couldn't, I didn't want you guys to think less of me. Like I was some helpless damsel in distress who couldn't defend herself." I sighed in frustration.

"Oh come on! You're Sarah Harvey, fiercest, bravest, most reckless, most badass chick on the face of the earth! If anything, the fact you went through that and was still able to put a smirk on your stupid face says that it only made you stronger." Of course, she smirked. "Now, are you gonna give me a hug or not?" She laughed but got up and hugged me, but then quickly pulled away. I was about to ask something but she held up a finger signaling for me to be silent. She moved towards the door, counted to three, and swung it open to reveal a Sherlock and John tumbling towards the floor. We laughed as the boys scrambled to get to their feet.

"So, you think my girlfriend is badass?"

"Hell, yes she is!" Sarah did a fist pump as we all laughed and Sherlock mumbled 'Americans'.

~Sherlock's POV~

I sat in a cab with Sarah, who was looking out the window. Joanne and John were in the cab in front of us. Joanne was excited to finally be out of the hospital. My phone beeped and I took it out reading the new text

Your girlfriend is a bit too feisty for my taste, but quite fun in the bedroom.

-JM

My grip on the phone tightened, I glanced at Sarah who was still looking out the window. How could anyone do that to her? To anyone, for that matter. "You're gonna break your phone." she said bringing me away from my thoughts. I realized what a tight grip I had on my phone and put it back in my pocket.

"What are the nightmares about?" She sighed.

"Just flashbacks of it all." She closed her eyes as if trying not to cry. I scooted closer pulling her close to me.

"Sarah,"

"I'm fine."

"You don't have to pretend with me."

"I'm-"

"Sarah please, I can understand with Joanne and John, but please don't pretend with me." She looked at me for while.

The driver cleared his throat. I sighed in annoyance and paid. We got out. John and Joanne went to mine and John's flat while I took Sarah to her's. I sat on the couch, putting my feet up on the stool. Sarah took her shoes and coat off before coming over and curling up on my lap. I wrapped my arm around her waist, as if ensuring myself that she was there and wouldn't leave. God this is so not like me, but how can I help it knowing Sarah shares my feelings. Yet I always thought of love as some chemical malfunction of the mind, a useless thing in life. I looked down at the now sleeping girl on my lap, but not just any girl. Sarah Harvey, my girlfriend. The girl who once meant nothing to me, who now means the world to me