Roots

Later that day Natsuki returned to her home, arriving she noticed how peaceful her home was without her father. She cleaned a little more, then stumbled across an old photo. It was a picture of her family when she was very young, her mother and father holding her five year old self. It was the only time remembering innocence, her father seemed to be smiling in the picture. Even looking at the picture she knew something wasn't alright, as much as her father tried to smile she could tell he wasn't satisfied. Observing her mother in the picture, she knew her mother was happy. Her mother looked young in the picture, probably around 27. Her mother had bright pink hair like Natsuki, Blue eyes, small build, but her happy smile stood out. Her father has short light brown hair, purple-pink eyes which Natsuki inherited, he's tall, looked around 28 years old in the photo. She then saw her younger self, her younger self looked happy, she now understood where she got her smile from because her younger self smiled brightly. Old memories came back to her, before she was left with only her father.

Natsuki, five years old, approached her Mother and Father's room, she looked at a small creak through the door. "Haruhi! What were you thinking!? Now you've got so little left!" Her father shouted, her mother yelled back "I don't care! She's my daughter! I love her! Why can't you!?" Her father argued and said "She doesn't meet my expectations! There's only so little a woman can do! If you hadn't taken that damn drug then maybe she would've become a strong man growing up! She's only a disappointment!" Natsuki hurried down the hallway, away from that room. Running down to the bathroom, she got on a stool, then noticed a pair of scissors. Her father left the bedroom and sighed, then walked into the livingroom. Soon after, he fell asleep in a chair. "Hey Mama! Mama!" Natsuki said cheerfully, running to her mother's bedroom. "Look! Look! I look like papa now!" Her mother looked at Natsuki, she gasped. Natsuki had cut her hair, very short, to a pixie. "Natsuki.." Her mother picked up Natsuki and started to smile at her, she had tears in her eyes. "What have you done..?" Natsuki's mother began to laugh as she held Natsuki close, Natsuki smiled and said "Papa will love me now..!" Natsuki's seen her mother cry when her mother fought with her dad, Natsuki tried all she could to make her mother laugh and be happy. Her mother was very happy, she loved Natsuki with all her heart. Month after month, Natsuki noticed her mother was becoming weaker and weaker, she even visited her mother in a hospital. "What has Natsuki brought me today..?" Her mother asked as she smiled at young Natsuki, the little girl was jumping. "I made you a cupcake!" "A cupcake?" Her mother looked at the cupcake Natsuki had made. It was a vanilla cupcake, dashed with frosting and sprinkles. "It's so wonderful..!" Her mother said before taking a bite out of it, Natsuki was squealing of eagerness from her mother's next response. "It's so good..! Well done Natsuki!" "Yay! I knew you would like it!" Her mother truely loved Natsuki alot, but then soon after. She died. Natsuki was devastated discovering her mother was dead, the day her mother died she walked into her father's bedroom and asked "Papa..?" The man turned his head to Natsuki, "It's your fault.." He said calmly, "She died because of you Natsuki, because of you, your mother died from a stupid drug.. it's your fault she's gone.." Natsuki looked at her father as her father's voice gradually became louder "She wanted a girl.. a fucking piece of shit girl who can't do anything right..!" Her father yelled at her, Natsuki looked at her father, scared and sad. She believed what her father said. "You existing is crime..! Hell everytime I look at you, you remind me of your mother! That damn woman let you be a girl, be weak..!" Natsuki then looked at her father and said "I'm sorry papa for existing.. I'll just leave you.." She left the room. Week after week young Natsuki noticed that her father was being more abusive of her, but even then she still loved him. She even tried cheering up her father and cleaned to show she's worth something. She did things that even her father was surprised with, she tried her hardest to gain her Father's love. He became more strict as she grew up, she wasn't even allowed to read manga. And one day he crossed the line, he physically abused her soon enough. She always had to carry the burden of not meeting up to her father's expectations, every time he scolded her she became more insecure. She couldn't stand being at home, she began to hate that place because of her father. But she loved him because he was the only family she had left. She loved the parts of her father that weren't abusive, he could be nice. She knew he had a soft side, more human. She to this day tries to earn her father's love, she never gave up despite his abuse which hurts her a lot.

As soon as reality hit her she heard a knock on her door, she looked at it. "Who's there..?" She asked, "Papa who else?" "He's back already?!" She hesitated, "It's only been two days.. was the conference meeting already taken care of..?" She thought, then sighed. "I'm coming.." she said gloomy. Once she opened the door she saw her dad, "Welcome back Papa.." As she looked up she suddenly gasped, her father had a grin on his face. "Natsuki.. My child.." He crouched down to look at her, then gently grabbed her by the chin. "Papa's in Love.." She never saw her father happy, but he was. "Papa's got a new girlfriend.." She looked at him in shock, "Papa's happy.?! How is it possible?!" She noticed somone behind him, it was a woman. "Meet Maisuko.. She's gonna be staying with us for a while.. and please.." He started to tighten his grip on her cheeks. "Be nice to her.." Natsuki understood. He let go of her cheeks as she quickly touched them, it hurt. "Nice to meet you.." Natsuki looked at the woman, she had dark brown hair, emerald green eyes, and her build was a bit short. "And your name is..?" The woman seemed kind, she had this gentle aura. Natsuki greeted herself but didn't want to get close to the woman. "You're 18 I suppose.." Maisuko said, she was a pretty calm woman. "Correct.. How'd you know..?" "I'm a woman of a small height.. I can tell between a first year and a senior.. you look a bit more developed than a first year.. I can tell by small features.." Natsuki observed her. "Such as this one.." Maisuko touched her neck, uncovering the foundation. "So you've been up to things..?" She whispered to Natsuki. Natsuki quickly moved the woman's hands, and blushed. "H-Hey..!" "Don't worry I won't say a thing.. but was your experience pleasent..? What kind of guy was it..?" Natsuki became silent. "Ah I see.. some privacy.. no sweat.. I'll discuss this more later.." Natsuki looked at her with a bothered expression. The Woman then followed Natsuki's Dad.

After some time Natsuki's father left them both in the house as he went to get groceries. "Anyways back to earlier.. How was he like..?" Maisuko asked as she grinned. "He..?" "Yeah.. Your Boyfriend.." "Boyfriend..?" "That's odd.. Unless.. It wasn't a guy.." Natsuki became anxious, "She already caught on damn it.." Maisuko then said "Girlfriend..?" Natsuki looked down in embarrassment, "She's not my girlfriend.." "Fuck Friends..?" "No.. It's not like that.." "Fuck it is like that.." Maisuko laughed and said "You're a cute one.. no wonder other girls would like to do it with you.. of coarse I wouldn't tell your father because I'm aware of his behavior.." "You already know..?" Natsuki asked "Of coarse.. I'm not actually dating him.. he's under my vision.. I'm aware that he's abusing you.. your actions show a lot of symptoms that victims have of abuse.. the most obvious one is high insecurity.. your second one is this.." she grabbed Natsuki's shirt and pulled it up a bit. "Scars and Bruises.. just as I expected.." Natsuki quickly pulled her shirt down. "Last but not least your attitude.. you're someone who want's to be taken seriously, and gets extremely upset when someone doesn't. That's all due to manipulation and insecurity." "She already has me figured out.. fuck.." Natsuki thought. "But don't worry.. help will be on the way soon enough.. I'm here to help you.." "Why..?" "Because.. I'm your local law enforcer.. it's my job.. bring those criminals to justice.." "You're safe now.."