Another World

************************************************************************************************

The wolves howled behind Thena, she ran through the dense undergrowth morphing from feline to human and back again. Why am I running? Thena wondered to herself, another howl pierced the air behind her , she tried to climb a large tree ahead of her, she couldn't get a hold on the smooth damp bark, she whirled around to face the wolves. The leader bared its teeth at her in a poor imitation of a smile, its glowing speckled coat looked familiar, her pelt shone the same way. The wolf bared its teeth in a gruesome imitation of a smile. Thena flattened her ears and hissed swatting at the wolves to keep them at bay. "Don't you recognize me?" The Lead wolf asked, her mouth did not move when she spoke "After all we are kin." "You are no kin to me" Thena growled back "Is that so?" The wolf sounded amused now "We shall see." "If you are kin to me why hunt me?" "Because you did not speak with us, Thena" The wolf paused to see Thena's response "How is Tarvet?" The question surprised "far as I can tell, he is well. Why do you care?" "Curiosity, mostly." Thena eyed the other wolves who were growing impatient, the leader noticed and snarled at the other wolf, It flinched and backed away "what are you? You are not a star cat but bear their markings." "Cats aren't the only creatures in the world, look around and you shall see." Thena glanced around the forest, her eyes settled on a horned squirrel with swirling galaxy markings, it squealed at her and ducked into its burrow. above her she heard a coo, a glowing blue-grey heron passed not far above Thena. "What is his place?" Thena asked "This is where we come from, Celestial cats are one of the many species found here" "But, I'm from earth" "Your ancestors were from here, some of the creatures here can take on a human form, its not just a disguise those who take on that form can intermix with humans" the wolfs form shimmered, she shrank turning into a young woman with honey blonde hair and eyes the color of storm clouds, she may have been smiling but her showed something much different. She had the eyes prey saw before they died, she had the eyes of a hunter. A cold knot formed in Thena's stomach, this was her mother.