Year One

Charlie Randenson followed Professor McGonagall into the dining hall along with all the other nervous first years. All eyes were on them. Anxiety bubbled throughout their veins as they shuffled towards the front of the room. They knew everything about Hogwarts, in fact, the whole thought of attending school didn't worry them at all. The only thing that scared them were the demons from their past.

Professor McGonagall instructed them all to wait at the foot of the steps, so they waited patiently with everyone else, taking the time to look around. They had seen several pictures of the castle after the war, which was only a few years before. Charlie knew, of course, that magic can fix things swiftly, but they never imagined that all that damage could be repaired in the short time since the Dark Days.

When they looked back to the stage, McGonagall had already gotten out the Sorting Hat and was calling the first name. Damn it, they must have missed the song. Charlie watched as the poor terrified red head was placed in Hufflepuff, then after several more names started zoning out once again.

"Charlie Randenson," a voice boomed. Charlie looked up, completely baffled. They were positive that their mother had signed them up for school under their birth name. Bloody hell, they hadn't even come out to their mother at this point, they were only eleven and were certain that their mother would pull the 'you're-too-young-to-be-making-these-decisions' card.

Their name was called a second time, and they gulped, nervously stepping forward. Professor McGonagall made eye contact with them and smiled, nodding as if to say, "I know."

Charlie climbed the stage and sat on the stool, facing everyone. They debated whether or not to do their breathing exercises, knowing if they didn't get out of the spotlight soon that they'd have a panic attack. Before they could decide, however, the hat was placed on Charlie's head.

"Ah, nervous," a voice whispered. "Well, don't worry, you're not too hard to read... RAVENCLAW!"

Charlie beamed widely, practically running to sit down once the hat was removed from their scalp. Finally, they had some confirmation that they weren't like their mother. They were beginning to get scared of themself at times, realizing more and more the similarities between the two. But now, finally, they felt a small weight lift off their shoulders. Ravenclaw. Charlie was a Ravenclaw.

"Well, hello," someone whispered, sitting beside them. They had navy blue hair and sparkling bright green eyes.

"Pronouns?" Charlie asked, an old habit. They liked to be positive that they were using the right ones first thing.

"Well, it depends actually," they blushed, looking down. "But today it's she/her."

"Cool," Charlie replied. "I'm Charlie, you?"

"I'm Jackie," she said, beaming. "I can't believe..." she paused, shaking her head. "Sorry, I just thought I wouldn't be able to come out here, but the first thing you asked were my pronouns."

"Oh," they said simply, shrugging. "I just... well I want to be sure I get it right I guess. Do you-"

"Welcome, students," Professor McGonagall called from the front. "Now that everyone has been sorted, we have a few announcements to make. I am pleased to say that Professor Hagrid has once again joined our staff, and will be teaching your Magical Creatures class. On that note, please do pass his classroom with caution, and only enter once permitted. We do not need any unnecessary injuries.

"Now, let's not waste perfectly good dining time. Eat!" And with that, food filled the tables. The two dug in immediately, their conversation forgotten the moment their plates filled with sweet treats.